Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

Online File Storage

naughtsncrosses
After the 2010 900GB EHD crash, my husband and I threw our files into our "unlimited" account so that should it all turn to custard again, at least we would have our files backed up and away from our physical house.

Well, we got an email today saying that our "unlimited" account wasn't really unlimited.  Frankly, I'm pissed - we've had the account with them for two years, renewed it yesterday for another two years and they send us the note today.  Turns out their concept of unlimited use doesn't involve storing files ... I mean, hello?  what else would we need unlimited for?  And it also turns out their "unlimited" isn't unlimited in any sense of the word.

So.  I don't want to use Mozy or Carbonite - I want to be able to upload files (including all my zip files) and leave them there so that I can delete stuff off my EHD without worrying about it disappearing.

Does anyone have an online file storage place that you trust, has unlimited storage (with all the photos and files we have, we've got at least 2GB worth of stuff) that keeps unused files??

Hubby has found one company called Badongo, which has a free storage system (exactly like Mozy/Carbonite in that it mirrors what you have on your EHD) and also has a premium storage system that doesn't delete unused files.  But I've never heard of them.

Suggestions welcome!!!!
0 | 0
Hollie
2377 Posts
Well, I am currently backing up to BackBlaze. I picked them because it backs up your EHD...which is were I storage all my scrap and design stuff.
Hollie
Designer - Holliewood Studio   
Owner - MischiefCircus.com
0 | 0
karlimarie
I did a bunch of research a couple months back to try and find a good, reliable, reasonably priced online storage that doesn't automatically mirror your drive...

unfortunately I didn't find anything I was happy with, so I just went with a second EHD instead.
0 | 0
joyuslion
1339 Posts
oh my gosh.... I hate it when they say one thing and give you another! Some companies are so dishonest and frankly I don't know how they stay in business... it is probably only because people don't have enough time to find another avenues! I will be watching and looking at everyone's suggestions!!!! I have 2 EHD's full of graphics.... hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth (ssshhhh don't tell my DH) and I should be backing that all up somewhere! xoxoxo
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
Thanks, Hollie - BackBlaze was one we looked at - I'll get hubby to check again.

A couple of companies say "unlimited" but when it gets down to it and you say "I'm looking at storing up to 3TB of photos/documents/scrapping stuff" they start clutching their chests and saying "that's too much"... which begs the question "how can you call yourselves unlimited storage people when you clearly DO have limits?"

And most of them will only mirror your files (so if you delete something from your computer or EHD, it goes from your storage, too) for 30 days...

One company was going to charge $75 per month for 30GB.  Hello?  That's not enough to cover even my smallest EHD!

I'll let you know if we discover anything else, and I'll get hubby to double-check BackBlaze, thanks, Hollie!!
0 | 0
eryn
I only know of carbonite and mozy sorry. I just wish I could use them but because of the internet limits in Australia, it is not a viable option.

My only other suggestion would be to have all of the stuff you want but don't need on a seperate EHD and keep it in a safe deposit box or somewhere else safe. I remember being told to store my negatives in a safe deposit box years ago...yeah right! But it might be an option for you!
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
I'll be following this thread closely.  Dying to hear good options... I'm in the same boat with you Edeena.  Currently, I'm doing Karli-Marie's method of having everything on 2 sep EHD's (I have 2 for photos, 4 for digi-supplies, etc.

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
skyezak
I use Mozy but have been on well over a year and depending on your speeds, it can take months and months to catch up to what I already have on my EHD. It's backed up C:\ but my EHD has around 300gb on it and it's slowly working through it.  If I have anything that I delete from my EHD that I want to keep, I just back it up onto a DVD like PSD files for all my digi layouts. They take up too much space and like Edeena says, Mozy deletes after 30 days if you have deleted the file off your PC. I tried the one Hollie's using and can't remember the problem I had with them during the trial so I stuck with Mozy. Only this week I had to restore all my Music folder as it was empty and I have lots of downloads from iTunes and Bigpond Music. Luckily I noticed within the 30 days of me accidentally deleting the directory so I was able to retrieve them all again. I back up everything on my PC and EHD to DVDs as well so there's always a way to get back things that get corrupted or deleted by mistake! Yep, I'm a numbskull LOL!
0 | 0
Scrappie Irene
I have a HD for photos, a HD for my scrapsupplies and as a backup a NAS with 4TB for my scrapsupplies and photos.  
I burn my photos on DVD's as an extra backup at the end of each year.
I haven't tried an online backup service yet. I am thinking about it, but have no idea which company to choose.
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.