Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings
Forum Tips and Tutorials Getting IN the Grass

Getting IN the Grass

MissB
I have a NEW and easy way to blend your extracted images into a grassy expanse.  All you need is your eraser tool.  I’ve written instructions for both PS and PSP users.  Yay, me!  :D

First, lets put our “model” on the background.  This is Logan. (Isn’t he just the cutest?  He is Morgan’s twin brother and looks just like his daddy :))  

He looks like he's floating on top of the grass.  Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to actually place your model IN the grass.  (This background was made from a combination of papers from Lori Davison’s "A Pioneer Story" and "Bunnies, Bees and the Bird’s Big Balloon" kits.)

Now I could just cover him up with grass elements but it just doesn’t look very natural.  Plus, that would make this blog post really short.  ;)

Another reason the erasing method works so well is that you actually see the background peeking through so you know the colors of the grass are going to be a perfect match.  

Let’s select our eraser tool.

PSP Users:  This is what your eraser tool looks like –

PS Users: This is what your eraser tool looks like –

I’m going to be loading these grass elements into my brush selection individually.

They are from – left to right:  Maya – “Country Garden” – Birgit Kerr’s – “My Mother’s Garden”  and also from Birgit Kerr – “Urban Summer” .

Let’s lock and load our elements and transform them into fabulous grass brushes.  Here’s how we do it.

PSP Users:

1)  Open your grass element.
2)  Open your Brush previews.
3)  Click on the “Create Brush Tip” button

I always name mine for crediting purposes, but it’s up to you.  

*Tip*  ~ Be sure to name the brush what it is so you can find it easily later on.  Such as:  Grass – 1 – Designer’s Name.  If you name your brush tip after the designer, you might not remember who made it or where it is.  Or is that just me?  Heh

PS Users:

1)  Open your element.
2)  Click "Ctrl + Enter" on the element's layer.
2)  Open your brush menu.
3)  Click on “New Brush Preset “
4)  Click on “Load”

We’re ready to start.  Duplicate your extracted model and hide it, just in case you make any boo-boos, you still have your original extracted image.

And …. ERASE!  

After uploading the first brush I’m going to take my eraser tool and click (tap) inside Logan’s legs to erase small, grass shaped sections of Logan’s legs.  Follow along the natural curves of the body.  I have the opacity of my eraser tool set @ 55%.

I’ve drawn a box to show you what I’ve erased so far with my first brush.

Load your additional grass elements into your brush selections and continue erasing.  Here’s what I’ve erased.

*Important tip*
Do NOT erase in a straight line because that just doesn’t look natural.  Follow the lines in your model’s body.  

To finish this off, I’ve added a some shadows and set the blend mode to burn and lowered the opacity to 34% just to blend Logan into the grass a tiny bit more.

Easy, right?  I hope you enjoyed this and I really hope it’s helpful to someone.
0 | 0
Tara
Ohhhhhhh Miss you are my tutorial QUEEN! This is just sooooooo brilliant as always! I adore this so much and yep, I totally have to agree, Logan is just totally the cutest!! ♥♥
0 | 0
Hollie
2300 Posts
omg! this is brillliant and far easier then the way i have been doing it. thank you so much!
Hollie
Designer - Holliewood Studio   
Owner - MischiefCircus.com
0 | 0
Tara
omg! this is brillliant and far easier then the way i have been doing it. thank you so much!

Yeah I shudder at the thought of how I have actually been doing it here, like cutting out each tiny little detail. OMG! But never again. LOL! Mel your a lifesaver girl!!
0 | 0
MissB
You are most welcome!  It's saved myself a TON of time.  :D
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1 Posts
0 | 0
orachel
Oh yay!!! I just bought the Paula Kesserling kit Farm kit because of Chengie's awesome cow layout....Love that cow! LOL And sandra's got these milk cartons really IN the grass...like you'd never know they weren't born there. Now I can do it too!!! Yay, you!!! Go, Miss B!

And what a cute lil guy...er should I say Handsome and cool kiddo...you've got there!
0 | 0
stampin_rachel
Great tutorial!  I never thought to do that!
0 | 0
anneofalamo
the opposite of what my tiny brain would have ever begun to realize?
and here I thought my people would perpetually hover in my layouts...woo hoo to you miss BE!
0 | 0
MissB

You deviants sure know how to make a gal feel like a bazillion bucks.  
0 | 0
swathe
I'm speechless... wow.. thankyou.!!
0 | 0
eryn
Very cool!! thanks!!
0 | 0
Joy
Loving this!!! Thanks!
0 | 0
violethare
Great tuturial, my people usually just float, will have to try this next time
0 | 0
CryztalRain
1 Posts
Australia
i knew you were more than just a pretty face..
wow wow Miss.. awesome tut.. now this dumb bunny might make it look real for a change insetead of cutting out i can add
LOL
thank you
loveeeeeeeeeeeee
Designer at Mischief Circus CryztalRain

Lover of all things art.. :)
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
I love this and even played with it.  Here's something for you Miss B

(get it?  Someone  Out Standing in the Field?
0 | 0
MissB
At the risk of sounding like a complete sentimental sap ... I LOVE LOvE LOVE it!!!!  
This is seriously one of the coolest things anyone has done for me.  Did I mention that I LOVE it!!!!  

I wonder if I could size this down enough to use as my avatar!!!!  LOL   Thank you soooooo much!!!!  

BTW ... awesome job with the grass!!!  
I love this and even played with it.  Here's something for you Miss B

(get it?  Someone  Out Standing in the Field?)
0 | 0
MissB
Ha!  That's not the only talents I have.  *waggling eyebrows in pervo fashion*  Bwahahaha

You know I love you Heather!  
i knew you were more than just a pretty face..
wow wow Miss.. awesome tut.. now this dumb bunny might make it look real for a change insetead of cutting out i can add
LOL
thank you
loveeeeeeeeeeeee
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
I'm glad you liked it but the credit is all yours and your fabulous tut.

I know I'm going to get better at that grass thing.  The shadows were the worst part.  Anyhoo, I've tried avatarizing it for you (yeah, I know, I'm such a big head

0 | 0
MissB
I am sportin' a gorgeous new look.    Thank you, thank you, thank YOU!!!
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Well, I am just so absolutely excited to see this!   Kazadoodle - you do ROCK - you ROCK, ROCK, ROCK-ITY ROCK ROCK ROCK!   That is so cool!  And I was just discussing the grass tut with Miss B and saying how I loved it but didn't have a need to do it at the moment and was afraid I would forget how she did it when I need it.  What a stupid thing to say or think.  I should've found a reason to do it right now - just goes to show how closed off my little my mind can be.  I think my mind is just tired and not thinking right.  My muses have collapsed into my feet and are not presently up in my head where they belong.  So anyway, your legs and feet in the field - I am just so durn impressed, I can't find words.   Super dooper cool and BRILLIANT!
0 | 0
orachel
Hey! Miss B!!!  

I like your new avi. Nice Stems. ROFL
0 | 0
Hollie
2300 Posts
Karin, you rock girl! What an awesome piece and so appropriate for our MissB.

Hollie
Designer - Holliewood Studio   
Owner - MischiefCircus.com
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
Aw, shucks.  Thanks y'all.
0 | 0
orachel
ROFL!!!! This also works for 'Getting IN the Dirt'! Used it http://mischiefcircus.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1152&nocache=1here... and linked to this tut and shadow one I used. STILL not happy with shadows, but I'm very pleased with way the floor one came out right where pile of dirt meets floor. You're right...all about the extra shadow in Soft Light clipped to the layer mask! Thanks Miss Behaving!
0 | 0
karlimarie
This is an awesome tip! THANKS!
0 | 0
Oh for gosh sakes - Deviant Scrap rocks!!!   Another AWESOME tut!  My head's going to explode with all this new, Miss Behaving digi-info   Love it - Love you, love this forum!!

0 | 0
Becky F
Thank you for this much-better method! It should definitely save me some time.
0 | 0
eryn
just want to say how much I love you right now Miss B!! My grass is looking awesome right now! (if I do say so myself! lol) But no I can't share yet!

Anyway...I popped in to add a little tip. Instead of erasing the extraction, I made a new layer above it and brushed my grass on and then clipped my background to it. That way I had a 'grass' layer that I could easily shadow. It made the shadowing so much simpler and also if you change your mind later you haven't lost the extraction. Hope this helps somebody :
0 | 0
Tara
DUH! Good thinking Eryn!!!!!!!!! I totally hadn't thought of that. You smart little mainlander you!! hehehehehehe! Going to give this a go tomorrow now. Thank Youuuuuuu!! xoxoxo
0 | 0
MissB
Oooh ... that IS a fantastic idea for PS users!  Can you do that in PSE too?
0 | 0
OMG Eryn - I am loving you right now!! When I shadowed the erased parts, I couldn't get it to look right :)  Going to give this a try!!!  
0 | 0
orachel
Great Idea!
0 | 0
eryn
Oooh ... that IS a fantastic idea for PS users!  Can you do that in PSE too?

I don't see why not! Thanks everyone!
0 | 0
Cole
Why haven't I found this site and this forum before now???

This is so easy and makes so much sense....and yet I never would have thought of it! Thank you!
0 | 0
Ms.suzylu
I just thought this was such a good idea that I had a go at trying to load the file as a brush, but I have PS cs5 and it wouldn't do as it was told. I had a hunt around and saw that if you go to "edit" you will see "define brush set" and thats all you do- you make a brush out of your element. Thanks for the inspiration. Now I can make a brush out of anything even a photo- looks pretty weird but its fun!
0 | 0
Nonni_f
1 Posts
Okay, three years later, I'd like to add my WOW to this tutorial!  THANK YOU!!!!!
0 | 0
Thanks MizzB, and thank you Nonni! If you hadn't posted I would have missed this awesome tut!!!
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.