Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings
Forum Chillin' and Chatter the term 'mixed media'....

the term 'mixed media'....

fairydust
hey guys....
i was perusing through the submission & calls thread at SBG & i am hoping some one can clarify something for me. i posted this question over there but i think i'll get more feedback here, so....
especially in the somerset calls, they ask for 'mixed-media' submissions.
do not digitally generated LOs qualify as such because we can render things to appear as such? or does the submission  have to be at least a 'hybrid?'
i hope this isn't a dumb question but i am wondering if i should steer clear of all calls unless they specify 'digital.'
these calls were posted on SBG which is obviously a digital site but i figure maybe these calls are meant to appeal to those who do more than digitally generated
stuff. i dunno. i'm confused. please enlighten me. thanks!!!!!!!!!!
danielle
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
It's a good question, but to get a proper definition I googled it, and this is the definition as provided by answers.com:

What is mixed media in art?

Mixed media means just that: a piece of work, not made of just paint, or just pencil or just metal, but a combination of several materials. These may be any materials that the artist has chosen to use just then.

My take on it is, digital and paper or digital and fabric.  Printing one of your layouts out and making a hybrid gift - that's mixed media, too - created digitally, but crafted physically.

I consider Trudi to be a mixed media arteest - here's http://mischiefcircus.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=14&username=two-dresses-studioher gallery (her http://mischiefcircus.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4477&title=just-another-featherblue-atc-cloth&cat=505blue ATC is the perfect example).
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
What Edeena said.
0 | 0
fairydust
yeah...."hybrid." that's what i figured.
if you are referring to that GORGEOUS fabric ATC....i saw that in the gallery this morning & told her not only was the card brilliant but so was the whole photo!!!
thanks ladies!!!!
0 | 0
eklektik
The term 'mixed media' needs to be taken in context...especially when it comes to calls for Somerset publications. If the call is for Somerset Studio, then mixed media means actual paper, cloth, paint, etc or in digi terms => hybrid. However, Somerset does have a publication 'Digital Studio' where digital layouts (and, yes, with digital 'mixed media') can be submitted.  I suggest that you may want to look at Somerset's 'Wanna Get Published' page to see their different calls for submissions - Somerset Studio and Digital Studio are both there, as well as their many other publications. The url is http://www.stampington.com/html/wanna_get_published.html .  I get both magazines and find them to be quite informational and inspirational - I have also gotten digital downloads of these mags (is cheaper than the paper edition!) from the Somerset website in case you are interested.
I believe there is an increasing trend and interest in the digital being used in actual mixed media, and vice versa...encouraged by the new technologies in inkjet printers...Nancy's (CrowAbout) designs are a superlative example!!! My poor inkjet has had everything from rice paper to textiles put through it without complaint!
Sorry for the long dialog - but this topic is of great interest to me! Hope this helps!
Marie
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
WOW!  Marie, what kinds of media have you printed on?  The only thing (except paper) that I've tried is the magnetic paper... those magnets were SO cool.

Tell us!  Tell us!  :
0 | 0
eklektik
I currently use an HP Officejet 7000 wide format printer which uses CYMK ink cartridges. Previously used an HP Photosmart 7800 with standard inkjet inks - prefer the CYMK ink for all types of printing.
Hmmm... materials I've printed, ROFL!!! my poor printers! but they have withstood my abuse well!!
Basically anything that is flexible enough to flow through the printer, and have to check the thickness allowance as well - printer dependant.
For stability, especially thin paper or fabric, I cut the material I'm using to the size of my base which I normally use card stock. I then use blue painters tape to mount it to the card stock. Most times I just need to mount it at the top, but again depending on the material, I will tape all four sides.
Fabrics - silk, cotton sheeting, muslin, canvas, PFD fabrics. You can get packages of PFD sheets at JoAnns (yay coupons!) or even order yardage (cheaper) on line from http://www.silkconnection.com/ sister company to Jacquard who makes alot of the dyes for fabric painting...http://www.jacquardproducts.com/fabric.php .
Paper - watercolor paper - my fav (I stock up at Michaels, again YAY coupons!), rice paper, washi paper, card stock, tissue paper....some papers need to be tested first for bleed...

Some fabrics need to be heat set...also have used bubble jet set - depends on your printer. As for the paper - especially the rice paper I spray with artists Krylon Acrylic Coating (I have even gotten this from Walmart!) & will seal the paper and give a water resistant coating - incase you are going to paint or whatever on the printed paper....

so - again, kinda whatever will take ink and fit through the printer!!! And there you have it - my trial and error methods, but seems to work for moi!!!

Hope this helps!
Marie
0 | 0
Fifi
Marie, that is one amazing treatise on what you use and how to do it!  Thanks for all that info!
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.