Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

Photography Piracy

naughtsncrosses
I'm not sure how many other people subscribe to Digital Photography School, but they regularly have great articles.  One of the ones I've just seen is on photography piracy.  I know this is something that concerns us all, so I thought I'd share the link:

http://digital-photography-school.com/have-you-ever-been-a-victim-of-photo-piracy

Here is a similarly themed article on watermarking:

http://digital-photography-school.com/watermarking-how-i-utilise-this-advertising-opportunity

So, do you watermark or sign your creations/photographs?
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
I sometimes watermark my work and sometimes I don't.
0 | 0
eryn
I haven't had any photos stolen that I know of, but I did have a quick page stolen and it was being sold as a blog header! Luckily somebody at DST recognised it and let me know.
I never upload hi res photos anyway, and rarely any photos at all. But they could get them from my Los I guess.
0 | 0
CryztalRain
591 Posts
Australia
The big problem is.. and i have seen it happen..

some person downloads images they dont own.. and they knowingly download them.. then the upload somewhere else or share them somewhere else online as a stock image, then a 2nd person gets them and uses them thinking they are using them legally..
it can make it extremely bad for that second person, especially when they were just browsing stock on google or something and cant pinpoint the site or worse, the images have been taken down.. it happened to someone i know..
and it sucks..
Designer at Mischief Circus CryztalRain
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
Yep, so true Heather.  It's one of the reasons I'm wary about some of the resources at DA.  Not the stock photos, as generally you can tell if they own it (you know, pages and pages of the same people :)), but with things like brushes - not so much.  I happened to know of some really popular brush providers at DA who were stealing stuff from stock sites like Shutterstock, and turning them into brushes.   They got caught, but goodness knows how far those brushes went and are probably still going.

PS:  I have had stuff stolen, wall papers that I used to make, and they would turn up on places like Zazzle.
0 | 0
KimberlyRae
Admittly, I have had my whole entire composition stolen.  Literally, the user would copy and paste into their layout and called it theirs!! unbelievable but true.
0 | 0
aevans96
Question for those more familar with Deviant ARt.com
I use some images from there unless they say that you can't or shouldn't use them. Most of them say if you use my image send me a link, I would like to see what you  made with my stuff. But then some lady 'yelled' at me saying what I did was illegal. I'm confused. I really tried to do things right. I saw no mention that the image was copyrighted or anything saying it should/could not be used.
I want to avoid this problem in the future. I usually use my own images but lately I haven't. Please help me clarify.
0 | 0
fairydust
Naughtsncrosses....thank you so much for starting this thread!!!! i was just searching for watermarking sites or software just a couple days ago & was considering starting a thread.
as a newbie it's unlikely anyone would even be remotely interested in claiming my work as their own....still i think as my skills grow i think watermarking is something to consider because you just never know. i am planning on doing it soon. i know there's at least a couple free sites out there where you can process your photos.

Quote: "Question for those more familar with Deviant ARt.com
I use some images from there unless they say that you can't or shouldn't use them. Most of them say if you use my image send me a link, I would like to see what you made with my stuff. But then some lady 'yelled' at me saying what I did was illegal. I'm confused. I really tried to do things right. I saw no mention that the image was copyrighted or anything saying it should/could not be used.
I want to avoid this problem in the future. I usually use my own images but lately I haven't. Please help me clarify."

wow.....that must have felt horrible. did she welcome others to use her stuff, or did you assume so because she didn't say anything either way? play it safe & unless there's actually a statement one way or another it's probably best to go with the side of caution, i would think. in my humble opinion.
i might add deviant art is dealing with some virus issues at the moment & i haven't able to download from there for a few days. it may be best to steer clear of them until they resolve their issues (as they say they are working on it) & go with cc searches.
(shrug) i dunno......just my two cents.....:
0 | 0
OrianaVianey
I use to be Creative hybrid team for a designer a couple of years ago, and a fellow CT stole my templates and share them as her own at other designer blog.
They were free, and I'll love to handle them to her if she asked, but at the time I felt horrible
I've never share any of my hybrid projects again after that :
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
It's amazing, that people feel it right to take other's creations and personal photos (and a store chain at that!) and redistribute them under their own names... gobsmacking.

I always mean to stick something on my art/photos, but I never bloody remember.    

Photoshop or Element scrappers can make a brush - some of the rest of us need to make .png files that we can include every time we make or show something.
0 | 0
pankerbelle
Question for those more familar with Deviant ARt.com
I use some images from there unless they say that you can't or shouldn't use them. Most of them say if you use my image send me a link, I would like to see what you  made with my stuff. But then some lady 'yelled' at me saying what I did was illegal. I'm confused. I really tried to do things right. I saw no mention that the image was copyrighted or anything saying it should/could not be used.
I want to avoid this problem in the future. I usually use my own images but lately I haven't. Please help me clarify.

I am always confused about that place, anytime I use something there I try and email the person first and be really specific about what I am doing. I have had similar things happen and the image clearly said use as you wish where you wish. lol Who knows!
0 | 0
aevans96

wow.....that must have felt horrible. did she welcome others to use her stuff, or did you assume so because she didn't say anything either way? play it safe & unless there's actually a statement one way or another it's probably best to go with the side of caution, i would think. in my humble opinion.
i might add deviant art is dealing with some virus issues at the moment & i haven't able to download from there for a few days. it may be best to steer clear of them until they resolve their issues (as they say they are working on it) & go with cc searches.
(shrug) i dunno......just my two cents.....:)

I did feel awful. She didn't say either way and usually if you don't like for your stuff to be used, you state it loud and clear. Plus there is a download button next to the photo. I figured if she didn't want it download she would have said so, not have the button and but that funky DA watermark on it. I'm fairly new to the site. So, I'm trying to figure out how to read between the lines I guess. Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

I upload my first pieces of art on there just the other day. One being a photo I took of monster trucks. I believe I made it unable to download and put a water mark on it because I don't want I photo being used. If I do want art used should I put 'STOCK' in the description so when people search for stock photos it will come up?
0 | 0
aevans96
I am always confused about that place, anytime I use something there I try and email the person first and be really specific about what I am doing. I have had similar things happen and the image clearly said use as you wish where you wish. lol Who knows!

Thanks so much, I don't feel quite as bad now! That's a good idea I will have to try that next time. Usually I find an image and have to do a lo right away and get my concept out. Thanks so much for sharing this :
0 | 0
LauraPM
Wow, this is all an eye-opener!

I shy away from  freebies that ask for a link plus the credit because while I of course credit, I don't want the obligation to link.  Some sites don't want or allow the link, and I can't really keep track of who needs linking and who doesn't.

What I have run into is freebie kits being offered by an individual (not a company) that clearly has licensed character elements that I know they don't have the rights to, like Disney etc.  That makes me really nervous about their other stuff.  It is so hard to know!

I've only looked at DA once or twice, but think I will stay away from it for now.

Can someone clarify for me what is public domain exactly?  I kind of know but it would help to understand that better.  Thnx!
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.