Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings
Forum Tips and Tutorials How to extract an image in Photoshop

How to extract an image in Photoshop

Tara
How to extract an image in Photoshop

Step 1.

Ok for step one you need to open your image up in Photoshop. Here's the image I will be using for this tutorial:

Step 2.

Ok now for all extracting I use the Pen Tool with the following settings selected - Paths and Pen Tool:

Step. 3.

Ok now I always zoom in on my image to at least 200% - 300%. All depending on the size of the image really. This one is only small so I had to zoom in to 300% like below:

Step 4.

Ok now with your handy dandy Pen Tool you need to find a spot to start at. And go along the edges one click at a time all the way around the image. The beauty of the Pen Tool, you can walk away from the PC and it will still be there for you to keep going with. You can even minimise Photoshop too if needed and come back to it. I LOVE it, especially with the little monkeys around this house hanging off me all day. LOL

Step 5.

Once you have the whole image selected you might have some extra bits that need to be extracted too, like in-between legs and hair too a lot of the time like below. Just use the pen tool around this also and when your happy with it go to the next step:

Step 6.

Ok now you need to go to your Paths Palette on the right and and hit the Load Path As A Selection like below:

You will now have your image selected with the marching ants like below:

Step 7.

Ok now your almost done! Go back to your Layers Palette and then up in the toolbar, go to Select and then Refine Edge:

You will now have a box pop up at you that looks like the following. This is how I have my setting set by default and use this each and every time I do an extraction. Mind you, I don't do this step if an image is too small. It sort of blurs it a little to much. But just play with this step to your liking.

Step 8.

Ok now all you have to do is go up to the toolbar again and go to Layer, New and Layer via Copy. Or just hit Ctrl+J on your keyboard which is even easier. I always use the shortcuts cause I am so lazy. LOL!!

Step 9.

Guess what?? Your done!

All you need to do now is drag your beautifully extracted image onto the layout you are working on and that's it. Easy peasy hey! LOL!

Enjoy and I hope this helps some one out there. Please feel free to contact me if you need further help.
0 | 0
Hollie
2300 Posts
This rocks, Tara!!! Thank you for sharing!

Hollie
Designer - Holliewood Studio   
Owner - MischiefCircus.com
0 | 0
Tara
Aww thank you Holl and your always way more than welcome too!
0 | 0
MissB
Look at you, Mz Tara knocking out the pen tool extractions tutorial.  Dang girl!!!  Awesome job on this!!!!!
0 | 0
Tara
Ohhhh shucks, I was soooo scared putting this up cause you are my tutorial QUEEN Mz B!!!!! Thank you darls!!!!
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1 Posts
I'm lost somewhere between putting this tutorial into action and exploring the site. I've been amiss in my THANK YOU because my head is positively SPINNING from all the inspirating going on around here.

I SOOOOOOOOOOOO hoped that we'd be seeing some of these tutorials when I looked at the LO's in the gallery. I can't even go back in there right now. I'm 'bout to pee my pants from all the excitement!  ***did I just say that outloud?***
0 | 0
Tara
It's a LOT to take in all in one sitting isn't it. I reckon you need to move your PC to the bathroom and use the toilet as your computer chair today girl. You have made my day here! You have me giggling so much!
0 | 0
stampin_rachel
Another new trick for me!  thanks much for the demo Tara!
0 | 0
Tara
You are so very welcome Sweetie!!!
0 | 0
swathe
oh.. dear... well there you go... I found something that I hadnt been doing tara.. tsk tsk tsk... whoops.. although I see no one else's noticed... so.. shhhh might keep that to myself.. LOL

now.. what other tut.. do we need to see... thinking caps on ladies... :
0 | 0
Tara
ROFL! I am not even going to ask Tracey Lee!!!!!!
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
If you all could see how I've been doing it before Hollie and Tara (now) showed me how to do it right, you'd see why I am brain dead and tired.  Holy moly.  I currently only have Photoshop Elements 7 and I've been using the magic extractor which now doesn't seem very magical at all!   Seriously!  It must be the hardest of all ways to extract!

I am getting the new CS5 when it comes out next month.  Until then, Elements doesn't have the Paths thing, the history brush Hollie showed me, or the pen tool.  For now, though, I've been using the polygonal lasso like Hollie showed me and figured a way to use the magic wand to clean up the edges though I can't do it just like Hollie can.
0 | 0
Tara
OMG I am jealousssssss girl! CS5 looks sooooooo inviting. One day Tara, one day! Will get that the day I get my SLR camera. ROFL! So in other words, not in a hurry. Whaaaaa. LOL!

Ooooh ouch on the non-magical extractor Marsh! LOL! I am glad we have helped out a little bit for ya. Look out when you get CS5, we will be able to show you a whole other world in PS. YAYYYYYY! Muwahhhhhh xoxoxoxo
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Well, I still teach art on Friday afternoons and I have two photog student children so I can get the $199 student/teacher version for us to use!   Yay!

Have you tried the magic extractor?  It is like crazy cumbersome compared to the ways you guys have shown me.  No wonder I was complaining, right?
0 | 0
Tara
Oooooh YAYYY! That is brilliant!!! I need to go and get one student so I can get it that cheap!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's totally awesome though!

Nope, never have tried that but it sounds scary from what you say and I don't think I will now. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
0 | 0
Well I'll be darned, this looks so much easier that what I have been doing to extract things!!!! I wish I didnt have to go to work now, I am bursting to try this for myself! Thank you Tara

Angelrat
0 | 0
Tara
You are way more than welcome Hun! Glad I could help out :D :D Have fun at work. hehehe!
0 | 0
It's official, Tara, I worship the ground you walk on... or the pixels you tap on? I have done my first ever really neat extraction that does not need lots of erasing at the edges!

Angelrat
0 | 0
kathitownz
Hey, Tart, mi girl!!!  I started using this!!! :all hail::all hail: (It's ESPECIALLY helpful at work when I have to work with my mouse instead of tablet!:all hail:...don't wantcha' ta' think I would do anything bad ...like a lo at work.....  Love, my little Aussie!

Sooooo..... THANK YOU!!!  (Aren't I just the sweetest???  Had so much fun looking at all these new smilies and NOW it's too much trouble to get them all out!

Just had to use these 'cuz they so aptly express how I spent Friday night...the other Friday, when my hair sucked after I got it cut!

Hugs to you, girl!
Kath
0 | 0
OMG Tara!!! Is it really as easy as it appears using the pen tool?  I'm going to make another attempt using your F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S. tut.  Fingers' crossed :)  Thanks, sweetie!
0 | 0
Mini-Renne
indeed, Lisah it's really easy ! try and you'll see by yourself !
for I learnt it in the French Digital scrapbooking magazine, the pen tool doesn't frighten me anymore ... lol
0 | 0
Tara
Awwww girls, thank you heaps and heaps! I am glad it's helping some of you out. I live by the pen tool because quiet simply, CHILDREN! HAHAHAHAHA! Love the fact that you can be half way through an extraction and you can walk away and feed the little monkeys. hehehehe!

I was the same as Mini to start with, scared of it but now, second nature! LOL! xoxoxo
0 | 0
OMG, Tara and Mini!  I'm REBORN!!!!!!!  I loveeeeeeee the pen tool!  So nice to be able to keep ten fingers and ten toes on my subjects!!!  hahahaha
0 | 0
Tara
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Welcome back into the world Lisa girl. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
0 | 0
fairydust62
question: i, too, have elements & therefore no "pen" or "path" tool.
so after using my lasso tool to cut, i used the quick selection tool to get the marching ants, tried refining the edge but nothing happens. what am i doing wrong?
with all the discussion about advanced photoshop i must go to adobe & see if i can download a trial so see what all the fuss it about.
thanks for any tips at all.....
0 | 0
twinsmomflor
Wow... that looks so easy.... I never use the pen tool.... Thank you so much
0 | 0
Tara
question: i, too, have elements & therefore no "pen" or "path" tool.
so after using my lasso tool to cut, i used the quick selection tool to get the marching ants, tried refining the edge but nothing happens. what am i doing wrong?
with all the discussion about advanced photoshop i must go to adobe & see if i can download a trial so see what all the fuss it about.
thanks for any tips at all.....

Ummm I am not brushed up on Elements but I will hunt my disc down tomorrow and get it installed on my pc and have a play around and see what I can come up with for ya. I can't remember what Elements it is but they are all the same yeah?? Got it with my Wacom Tablet and have never used it. hehehehehe!

I will let you know as soon as I work it out Hun.
0 | 0
Tara
Wow... that looks so easy.... I never use the pen tool.... Thank you so much

It's super dooper easy Hun! You are so very welcome and enjoy that pen tool. It's my best friend in PS. hehehehe!
0 | 0
fairydust
don't worry about it, tara......you're a busy lady & i will live.
i guess i made the assumption that most people started on elements & worked up to better programs as they became more proficient.
what i think i will do is head over to adobe after i log off here & see if i can find a trial of CS.....
0 | 0
Oh gosh, Fairydust - it really is worth the trip (going to Adobe for CS).  I'd used Elements till several months ago.  However, when I found this fabulous Forum, followed Tara's pen tut, I literally got heart palpations from the excitement :)

Till you make the transition, Miss Behaving has a great extraction vid in the threads here using the polygonal tool (that exists in Elements, too, I believe).  That may be the perfect interim solution for you :)
0 | 0
fairydust
thank you, lisa....i got my 30 day trial this morning & i already feel as though i traded in a VW bug for a cadillac!!!  lol
0 | 0
Ohhh, I'm so excited for you Fairydust!!  Love your comparison of the two programs!  You nailed it :
0 | 0
Tara
I totally agree with Lis! CS is just so awesome. I started off with Paint Shop Pro and changing over to Photoshop was the most scariest thing but I sat and practised all the time and now it's second nature. I reckon I would get lost in PSP now. hehehehehehe!
0 | 0
Tara
thank you, lisa....i got my 30 day trial this morning & i already feel as though i traded in a VW bug for a cadillac!!!  lol

So perfectly said girl!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
0 | 0
fairydust
ha ha.....it's true!!! btw, i used the pen tool technique & it worked amazingly!!!
not only that, it was faster! thank you!!!
0 | 0
Tara
Yayyyyyyy! That is totally AWESOME news Hun!! You are way more than welcome.
0 | 0
Yayyyyyyy! That is totally AWESOME news Hun!! You are way more than welcome.

Well Missy Tara!  It was your pal, Tracey (Swathe), who encouraged me to go to CS.  I'd commented on one of her AMAZING LOs and her pixel perfect extractions at DST.  She responded that you told her about the  pen tool and that's how she an you extracted!!!  So I thought....Hmmmm, Missy Tara - the digiqueen extrodinaire uses it, too!  That evening I got CS, but couldn't work the pen tool until THIS tut!!
0 | 0
sascedar
that is freaking awesome information Tara. I am very speshul when it comes to extractions...
0 | 0
sbpoet
So. It doesn't have to be this tedious (PSE9)?
0 | 0
Tara
LOL girls!!! So glad it helped you all out! Ever since I started to extract for my layouts, I haven't turned back and the pen tool is my best friend in Photoshop for life.

And sbpoet, don't be scared of the pen tool Hun, it's easy peasy. ♥♥♥
0 | 0
peggyg
1 Posts
I think this will be VERY helpful to me!!!!
i am a self taught photoshopper!
0 | 0
michelleyg
I have been trying different methods to extract (because I suck at it! ) and I LOVE THIS!! Thank you so much!
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.