Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

Dumb question . . .

Tumble Fish Studio
If you know my work and you know DST, where would you post my work there?   In the layout gallery or the hybrid project gallery?   I'm so afraid of being attacked or completely ignored, one or the other - very nervous to post there.
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
I'd say BOTH!!!!  (I've been ignored at DST for years, you get used to it. Besides, the real love flows here.  LOL!)

No REALLY - post it everywhere you can! Take it from someone who knows - you inspire people to WANT to get their scissors & glue back out!!!!!  
Bring the digi girls over to the hybrid side... Bring the hybrid girls over to the digi side!!!  

p.s. Found a 50% off sale on Epson's of 13x19 100 pack Premium Presentation Paper AND their 50 pack Enhanced Matte Paper... Normally $40 - got it for $19!!!!  NOW just need the ink to go on sale!

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
Will we have a hybrid or paper pieced gallery here?
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Will we have a hybrid or paper pieced gallery here?

I don't know.   I don't think so but don't know.   I think Hollie likes it all mixed up.

I'll tell you what.   Getting started at DST has a nice jolt of humility to it but I was already feeling kinda self conscious and underdressed lately.   So far, after having to make 5 thread posts to be allowed to upload, have had no replies to those and no replies to my give away, and one  hi in the introductions.   It kinda makes you feel like you're the only one naked in a room of strangers.  Or am I the only one who knows what that feels like?  *winking*
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
No, it's DST.  It's a fast-flowing gallery - and not a lot of people actually reply to the "hello, I'm from (insert location)" posts.  One poor gal from Scotland (who does AWESOME paper creations and is starting to explore digital art) got THREE replies.  How pathetic is that?  In fact, I think she'd love it here - I must go and invite her.

I rarely, if ever, get comments on my pieces unless I sell my soul and play the praise game.  And I like my soul, thank you.

There ARE other places that do what we digi folk call "hybrid" (ie printing digital stuff out and cutting it up and putting it back together) but I don't know where they are.  I know the Digichick has a Hybrid Chick section... it would be cool to do the same thing here.
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
I think the one Hi I got was from a very clever designer whose shop might have a welcome committee to go and greet and create good vibes and send you to their shop.  I see they welcome lots of people.  Not a bad idea.
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
It comes back to being genuine versus dredging for sales.  It's like genuine comments versus those annoying people who use the one word comments to boost their own.  I hate that.  I know language can be a barrier for some, but you know, I'd be thrilled with a comment in a foreign language if it was a genuine comment.
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
I keep getting the most interesting emails and Etsy convo's in French!   It's quite fun to try and guess what they are asking and then I finally go to babelfish and translate but it's never this smooth flow of words and you still have to kinda cock your head and squint (like that helps) and try to piece it together.   So, I agree, I'd like some foreign language comments too!   They're fun and you can kinda slant them how you want if you're in need of a good comment.

Yes, I agree with the dredging - not good.   Still, that one little hi made me feel not so naked, like I at least had a plant to try and hide behind in the corner.
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
It's not easy starting out.  

French always sounds so exotic and fascinating, doesn't it?
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Oui Oui!   
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
For those that don't yet know it, naughtsncrosses (Edeena) is one cool chick.   She made my day!
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
Ha!  Just gave you something to hide behind, that's all.  ;)

Are you going to stock your gallery with your products?  'Cos people will want to see what you make and where.  :
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
Yes, Edeena has that gift. She leaves sparkly good feelings in everyone's day wherever she goes - even on her worst of days.

(I'm pretty sure she farts glitter!)

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Ha!  Just gave you something to hide behind, that's all.  ;)

Are you going to stock your gallery with your products?  'Cos people will want to see what you make and where.  :)

Well, that brings us back around to the beginning of this thread in a way.   I have read all of the fine print that I had to agree to at DST and it appears that products can only be shared in the product gallery.   I have to figure that part out as Hollie has uploaded all of my packs as they have come out but I'm not sure where.   I was going to post pix of my work in the gallery but don't know if I can in the lay out gallery or be segregated to the hybrid gallery.
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Yes, Edeena has that gift. She leaves sparkly good feelings in everyone's day wherever she goes - even on her worst of days.

(I'm pretty sure she farts glitter!)

She left me a plant at DST.   Best gift I've gotten in a long, long time.
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
Well, that brings us back around to the beginning of this thread in a way.   I have read all of the fine print that I had to agree to at DST and it appears that products can only be shared in the product gallery.   I have to figure that part out as Hollie has uploaded all of my packs as they have come out but I'm not sure where.   I was going to post pix of my work in the gallery but don't know if I can in the lay out gallery or be segregated to the hybrid gallery.

Okay.  I thought you meant you layouts as opposed to your products.

I think there is a product gallery (let me just check) and yes, there is:
http://www.digishoptalk.com/products/index.php

THAT is where you have to post all your products.

Layouts made with your goodies would go to either the hybrid or the main gallery - and there is no reason why you can't post to both.   Although having just checked, it doesn't give you an option to post to both at the same time (like here, you can post to the main gallery AND to the designer gallery at the same time).  Bummer.
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
This is my take - as far I'm concerned, DST is no longer the HUB of the digital community.  It sure has changed since I started there.  I know that naked feeling all too well, try being ignored when the place was really popular ;).  It seems to me that these days, most designers are ignored.  I've noticed that even the super popular designers aren't generating the replies they used too.  I'm not sure where everyone has gone, but they don't seem to be at DST (sorry DST, but there it is)

I honestly wouldn't bother posting your product in the product gallery over there.  I have never, ever looked there.   Has anyone else here?

I would try promoting on FB, as that seems to be the 'go to' place, not that I go there, but then, I don't go anywhere anymore except here.  

Do have you have a Flickr account?  Try promoting there.

I'm probably to being in the least helpful.  Self promotion has never been my thing.  when I was designing,  I even got rid of my CT.  Funnily enough, after I did that, my sales increased, LOL.
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
I have to agree about that facebook thing - I find out more about what's going on with my 'not usual haunts' from FB....  AND I've received more comments & feedback there than ever at DST.

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
I have to admit that I've never checked the product gallery at all.  BUT I did click on Marsha's "My Products" button - she's new there, people will want to know what she makes and if she comes from a store versus being a blog or freebie designer.

Yeah, DST is on it's last legs in that it's no longer got it's finger on the pulse.  :(

And Patty Anne, I'm pretty sure that my family would disagree about me farting glitter...
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Well, as I looked with fresh eyes this morning, I discovered that my kind of work is segregated to the hybrid gallery.   The layout gallery is for digi only.
0 | 0
Two Dresses Studio
As you may have read in another post I made asking for help in uploading photos at DST, I have been unsuccessful thus far.

Now I see that you had to make 5 thread posts - is that the requirement for newbie's - like frosh week?  LOL

Truthfully, I don't have much of a 'mojo'  to get involved in the 'traditional type of scrapbooking' - so I'm not that motivated to have to jump through all of the rings there.    Instead, I'd prefer to focus more on translating my digital work into fabric work and by hand collage work as I like the dimensionality of 'by hand' collages.

If it becomes a requirement to post there, I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it...

I don't know. I don't think so but don't know. I think Hollie likes it all mixed up.

I'll tell you what. Getting started at DST has a nice jolt of humility to it but I was already feeling kinda self conscious and underdressed lately. So far, after having to make 5 thread posts to be allowed to upload, have had no replies to those and no replies to my give away, and one hi in the introductions. It kinda makes you feel like you're the only one naked in a room of strangers. Or am I the only one who knows what that feels like? *winking*
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
No, Trudi, not a requirement for you.   As a designer, it was suggested that I do it to get the packs seen.  I probably won't post much work there, just the packs as they come out.
0 | 0
chris
Marsha, if you upload your layouts to the gallery in DST, doesn't it give you a choice of where to place them at that time?  When I've uploaded my recipe layouts that I do for the DST swap, I choose the Recipe Gallery, and my page also automatically goes into the regular gallery  (much to my chagrin, since my recipe pages are sooo not creative, and stand out like a sore thumb amongst all the others).

BTW, It only takes a few minutes to go off the page in the regular gallery onto page 3 and onwards, but in the Recipe Gallery it stays on front page for weeks.  
The Hybrid Gallery might just help keep your very cool layouts prominent a lot longer.   
chris
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Marsha, if you upload your layouts to the gallery in DST, doesn't it give you a choice of where to place them at that time?  When I've uploaded my recipe layouts that I do for the DST swap, I choose the Recipe Gallery, and my page also automatically goes into the regular gallery  (much to my chagrin, since my recipe pages are sooo not creative, and stand out like a sore thumb amongst all the others).

BTW, It only takes a few minutes to go off the page in the regular gallery onto page 3 and onwards, but in the Recipe Gallery it stays on front page for weeks.  
The Hybrid Gallery might just help keep your very cool layouts prominent a lot longer.   
chris

Thank you, Chris, so much!   I haven't invested a lot of time over at DST yet.   But, if I remember right, it seems when I was uploading I had to choose either the digital layout gallery or the hybrid gallery and then I don't remember beyond that.   I probably missed some other options in the hybrid gallery.   Little by little, I'll figure that place out!   Thanks again!
0 | 0
vivie
I have some suggestions, TheDigiChick is an open gallery...doesn't have to be products from the digichick to post your layouts/art/hybrid.  Also, splitcoaststamper is good for hybrid stuff to be seen...http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/
don't sweat it at DST...not worth much.  We post there (ViVa) cause our stuff is more traditional and we still get seen there.  I'm happy to help out...you can PM me or email or whatever.
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.