Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings
Forum Inspiration Studio Toot your own technique

Toot your own technique

naughtsncrosses
I don't know about you folks, but I sometimes forget to play when I'm concentrating on making a layout.  But then someone will say something and it will make you remember that you HAVE that action or style, and you go and give it a shot and it makes SUCH a difference!

Or you see a tutorial and it makes you itch to try it yourself.  And then you're thrilled with the results.  Sometimes it even surpasses your imagination!

To give you an example of what I'm raving on about, I was working on this layout using Mercurial Trench by Studio Gypsy.  I loved the page (read:  I was sick of tweaking with it), and I was chatting online with Rachel/Orachel and she said "oh, why don't you give it some bubbles" and then showed me a freebie style that is totally awesome!  But you know, it reminded me that I actually OWNED a style that would do the same thing.  So I played with it.  And it totally gave the page the finishing touch and the look I saw in my head.

Before Rachel/Orachel's suggestion:
[IMG="[IMG]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/naughtsncrosses/StudioGMercurialTrenchwobubbles.jpg "]

After Rachel/Orachel's suggestion:

And you don't have to buy a bunch of things to get fun results - there are LOADS of amazing freebies out there that you can play with.

I would love to see pages where you have tried a new technique or followed a tutorial or just had someone give you that suggestion to give you the AHA! moment... show us!  :
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
I've been playing around with water reflections.  I found many tutorials, most of which didn't give me the result that I wanted.  Anyhow, the first time I tried it, I got this (not the same page in both cases, sorry)

And then I decided to play with the opacity, perspective, scale and blurriness of the image in the water and got this

The second reflection is far more realistic.
0 | 0
skyezak
Oh you girls just astound me with these masterpieces! Wow Edeena, those water bubbles sure make the layout and Karin, your reflections are just dazzling and that second one is oh-so much better. I've never tried the reflection thing yet, but it sure grabs your attention :
0 | 0
pankerbelle
I guess this is a valid question for this thread if not feel free to move, its more about my lack of technique. I don't post my art journalish type stuff because I am really unsure if that kinda of stuff is supposed to have much shadowing..... Can somebody please clear this up for me lol  I have googled it and the info I find is about people who draw their stuff by hand not digital and there is never any mention on light  
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
Do what you think looks right and feels right.  There is a lot of talk about shadowing, correct or incorrect.  I just do what feels right.  It's your journal and your page so do your thing.  I've got shadows on some of my pages that go every which way and it still looks right.
0 | 0
orachel
Omg, Karin!! That second page...the water is sooo luminous and your reflection is outstanding! I would looove to know how you did that if you ever do up a how to.

And everyone...how cute is kidlet edeena as a merkid? Such a cutie with those curls!!!

Pankerbelle..hi there! I totally agree with Karin. Shadows for me depend on the layout. The Fabulous Miss Behaving's shadow tutorials are outstanding if you're wanting to learn to do them very realistically. Honestly, for me, what i do depends on the effect I'm wanting. For instance, my last couple pieces in the gallery here, i was going for sort of a combination of drama and realism with shadows...so  i have some shadowing against the sky, which certainly isn't realistic, but also perspective shadows and stuff on the floor. Other layouts I've tried (and often failed! rofl) to get a real world 'hand cut' shadow look to my bits with a sort of 'drop shadow', totally trying to make it look like dimensional elements pasted to paper...sometimes it works better than others. And some of the coolest handcut 'look' digital collages ive seen have little or no shadows. So do what feels right for ya. BUT if you know what kind of shadows you want and just don't know how to achieve them, the Miss B is totally the girl for you! She is end all be all shadow queen!!
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
I agree Edeena - wholeheartedly, first with the PLAYING...

used to - when my money was spent at craft stores - as soon as I got home, I would begin playing around... just see what it would do, and what if I add this, and what if I did it on that, etc.

But I forget to allow myself to do this on digi-stuff!

THANKS for the reminder - both here - and from Marsha on the DS blog.

NOW - FOR THOSE LAYOUTS!!!
The bubble addition is awesome & PERFECT and totally puts it over the top!
And KARIN --- PLEASE direct us in the direction of some of your tut's... That second reflection has me REELING!

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
Karin, your water reflections are just awesome!  I know I left you love on the first one (love the sense of yearning from the white statue towards the crow/raven).

Pankerbelle, shadowing is a deeply personal thing.  Rachel has mentioned that we have a resident expert on the subject - I am sure that you would be able to get some information from the various tutorials she has here.  At the end of the day, you must do what feels right to you.  :D

Hey, PA - let's have some more fun, shall we?
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
The tut I used for both reflection pieces is the same one, I just played around with it for the second piece as I found the tut "as is"  was a bit flat (as can be seen in the first piece)

Here it is:

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/water-reflection/

Thanks to all for the kind words :
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.