Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

I am grateful for...

Lmccandless
I decided back in May to quit posting LOs at DST. I do pop into the forum from time to time but I have pretty much quit posting in there as well. I am content to hang out in the shops I CT for and here. DST is no longer worth the aggravation IMHO.
0 | 0
Mish
I decided back in May to quit posting LOs at DST. I do pop into the forum from time to time but I have pretty much quit posting in there as well. I am content to hang out in the shops I CT for and here. DST is no longer worth the aggravation IMHO.

I had been at DST since they first began & had only one board going... yet I quit posting there late last year also.  I'm not into cliques, criticism, judgement or any of that stuff.

LauraPM - welcome to the site, I'm a newbie here too.   Your comment made me smile because I am LDS, but I am totally non-judgmental, no criticism or anything else from me.  Everyone has the right to live their life in the way they see fit IMO. I have dear friends from literally every walk of life and I wouldn't change it & wouldn't change them in any way.  They are who they are & I love them for who they are.

I look at myself and in a way, can see in my own life, a similar take on the way people view the digi/paper/altered world.  

As my siggy & pic show... I have blue hair. I wear bright, funky out there clothes.  I'm not skinny by any means.... but it's my nature to be bright, vibrant, funky & out there. Should I hide because I'm not skinny enough for people to feel comfortable with how I love to dress? ABSOLUTELY NOT!  First & foremost... I am ME. It's taken a long time to find who I am, but I will be true to myself no matter what and I will not allow people to take that from me.

Sure, I get raised eyebrows, glares, wide eyed stares, kids asking me if I know my hair is blue and sometimes even snide comments... but when it comes down to it, what is important?  Making other people comfortable by dressing conservatively and fitting their 'mold' or their view of how they think people should be, or being true to myself and doing what makes *ME* happy?  I am 100% comfortable in my out there clothes... if others don't like it, oh well. I don't do it to get people to look at me or for attention, I do it because deep inside me... it feels RIGHT, it feels comfortable and I love, love, love creating wacky outfits.

Bringing this back to the digi/paper/altered concepts.... I'm like a walking mix of all 3.  I LOVE digi scrapping, love fantasy, love out there grungy LO's yet also gorgeous pretty traditional LO's.  I have not done much altered art, but only because I have NO CLUE what to do with the stuff after I make it. LOL  if I could work that part of it out... I'd dive right back into my glue, paper & everything else.

I sew... I make a lot of my own clothes because the clothes in the stores are too 'cookie-cutter' for me. I trawl second hand stores hunting for wacky bits &pieces of clothing to alter. My clothes are like the altered art of life.  Even my basic grey cardigan is about to get a make over with heart/star/circle buttons in all manner of colours because it's too 'normal' LOL.

People comment to me often "You didn't used to be like this".  What they don't realise is that *this* is who I really am.... before I was confined into a box dictated by others and I will not allow myself to be boxed in again. (Hence my 'Time' LO I did that many of you were sweet enough to comment on)

Embrace who you are girls!! it matters not what your reasons behind your art are. If it's just for the sheer joy of creating, for memories, for the bliss of playing with glue, or simply because you can.  Every single reason is a valid one. Every single piece of work is priceless.  Whether a beginner or someone who's been at this game a long, long time.  None of that matters, what matters is finding joy in your journey through life in every way possible.

Comments, etc... they're of no consequence.  It can hurt to feel as if you're being ignored, but it all comes down to perception.  It can feel however you want it to feel. Don't give the power of how to feel to others. Be proud of your work, make it for yourself and go where you get support such as here. Cut the others loose & let them go, they're not worth it!!  
0 | 0
eryn
well said Mish!
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
BRAVA MISH!!!! BRAVA!!!!!

The thing is - There is NO BOX - only the ones we impose on ourselves...

BRAVA to you for breaking out into rainbow YOU!!!!!
I think you are MAHVELOUS DAHLINGK!  
It is your vibrant outspoken always caring self that I love so very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are those that walk over the top of others and excuse it with "I'm just being me".
You have grace & glory inside of you - you are you - and let us be us.

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Mish - you are an inspiration!
0 | 0
Mish

There are those that walk over the top of others and excuse it with "I'm just being me".

Those who do that aren't just being themselves, they're adding selfishness into the mix, by trying to force others to be just like them and do things their way.

It's needing to be open and accepting of others... accepting that our way isn't the only way. There's an infinite number of paths to take. It is up to us to be the best we can be... but also allow others to be the best *they* can be at the same time.
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
You're a breath of fresh air too!
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Regarding your blue hair, Mish . . . (very fairy like so I totally dig it, by the way)

I have 2 different friends that dye an area "downtown" if you know what I mean.  It cracks me up because one of them is the most conservative looking gal you'd ever see - so reserved and traditional.   When we go places, I just want to tell everyone because I think they have no idea who she really is based on her appearance that you can see.   Just goes to show, as a former librarian believes wholeheartedly, can't judge a book by its cover.   We are all such complex beings and the magic comes from getting past the "case" we come in and give back when we leave this place, and getting to know the guts of a person.
0 | 0
eryn
hahahaha! took me a moment to realise they aren't hairdressers working downtown!! bwahahahahahaha!!
0 | 0
Mish
Marsha, that cracks me up! Love it!!!

A friend told me of a story about a girl who dyed the hair there green & had a tattoo saying "keep off the grass".  The girl had to have surgery & the Dr who did it was cheeky & on the bandages wrote "sorry, we had to mow the lawn"
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Marsha, that cracks me up! Love it!!!

A friend told me of a story about a girl who dyed the hair there green & had a tattoo saying "keep off the grass".  The girl had to have surgery & the Dr who did it was cheeky & on the bandages wrote "sorry, we had to mow the lawn"

That reminds me of those razor commercials they've been having lately with the shrubs all shrinking . . . cracks me up every time I see it.   Either I was the only innocent dork that had no idea about the care and attention to such things 20 years ago, or times they have changed.   Probably for the better though!
0 | 0
Mish
I'm Down Under, so I haven't seen those!  They sound hilarious!
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
I'm Down Under, so I haven't seen those!  They sound hilarious!

I should have known - you Aussie ladies are a riot!   I think I was meant to live there as you all sure keep me happy and smiling.

The commercials are for a ladies disposable razor and the shrubs all magically shrink, into shapes no less, as they walk by having just used the razor supposedly.   I will go find the youtube link for it.

Well, we've taken this thread in a whole new deviant direction, haven't we?
0 | 0
eryn
OMG lol! The british version is hilarious!!
0 | 0
Mish

Well, we've taken this thread in a whole new deviant direction, haven't we?

That's 'cos we're good little deviants.

Love the commercials, hilarious!!
0 | 0
vivie
thanks a lot, Mish, for getting me to start reading here!!!  And then finding all our other friends here too...Mish, you know I love you!!!

Newbie here, and nope, haven't done any altered art cause I have no idea how to...YET.
I come from a traditional paper scrapbook background and moved into digi and do a touch of hybrid now and again.  Nope, don't have a gallery yet...didn't have time for another gallery but it looks like i may have to...This is a cool forum (kinda reminds me of another forum I know!!!)  and wow!!!  what amazing products!!!

And yep, like the lady above says, whatever floats your boat...art can be whatever you want it to be...
0 | 0
eryn
yay! hi Vi!
0 | 0
LauraPM
OMG, so funny!  I had not seen this ad before.  I guess that's the down side to a DVR.  TFS!
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
It is funny, isn't it?   I don't think some of our mothers would have any idea about what they are inferring.
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
Mish, you are the Mish I thought you were :)

I'm not conservative in my dress either.  Sometimes I'm a bit more outrageous than others.  Today, for instance, I'm mostly normally dressed except for my shoes.  I'm wearing these:

Those "mow the law" commercials remind of the "U" ads that we have down here (pardon the pun, or should we?)

0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
OMG! Those are SOOOOOO CUTE!  (they look like shoes in one of Nancy's kits!)  I want some!

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
Mish
Karin!! I absolutely *LOVE* those shoes!  I soo have to get me some of them hehe.

Today for the first day back at school (for the kids) I toned it down a bit... hahahaha.  Rather than describe it, I'll just post a pic. It's a very calm outfit for me.

0 | 0
Kazadoodle
MIsh, you look great!  Wasn't it warm today though, with the sun out?  I was wearing short sleeves and a vest and the vest was a bit too warm, LOL.

Those shoes are some of the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.
0 | 0
Mish
It was very warm today! I was loving it! Such a treat when you get to wear shorts in the middle of winter!

Off to choir tonight... multi-hued tie-dyed style skirt, deep fuscia wrap. LOL
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
I actually prefer the colder weather.  Two of our best friends have gone to Europe and just as they were leaving, he was gloating about leaving cold, cold Melbourne and I said - you know I like it like this.  The temps for them have been 40 degrees C!  Erk!  This is why I want to go to Europe in March or September.

Your skirt sounds divine!
0 | 0
Mish
Here's the skirt Karin! I love it. You can't see in the pic, but the skirt has floral embroidery all over it in multi-hued thread.  

Hijack over..... back to the grateful thread.

0 | 0
ginamichelle1111
Hi Vi!! Glad to see you around here!!
0 | 0
KimberlyRae
What I like about DArt is the Mood seems a lil Rebellious and I like that!
and
it takes quite a bit to keep my attention
so
I don't think I will get bored Here!
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
What I like about DArt is the Mood seems a lil Rebellious and I like that!
and
it takes quite a bit to keep my attention
so
I don't think I will get bored Here!

Yay!   So glad you found your way here and hope you enjoy it!    This was a good thread to start with (don't know how far back you read).    Anyway, welcome!
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.