Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

I am grateful for...

naughtsncrosses
... Deviant Scrap.

I LOVE that I can come here and create art and share memories and learn techniques and just drool or ooh and aah or laugh hysterically at the pieces in our gallery here.

I just made the mistake of stopping by DST.  This is not going to disintegrate into a "let me count the ways I hate DST" rant, but I got sucked into a thread that just made me want to cry.

http://www.digishoptalk.com/boards/scrap-talk-65/art-v-scrap-246733/

It's come back to the whole art versus memory scrapping debate.  They almost threw stock photos in there, but she remembered herself at the last minute.

I'm not inviting you to all go there and throw yourselves into the fray, but I'm here to say:

I am SO glad there is a haven here for us.  For us to scrap how and when and why we like.  We admire and we question, we think and we laugh, and we create our socks off.

What do you love about Deviant Scrap?
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
Good Grief, that was a bit big.  Sorry about that!
0 | 0
orachel
I love that you're excited enough about it to use GIANT FONTS!!! rofl. I just totally went off on a rant in that dst thread. It makes me feel rotten each and every time i read those...like i'm not worthy to be in this community because i dn't have boxes full of gorgeous photos to scrap...i just had it. Went off. Rut row.
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
Oh dear.  I haven't visited DST in months but I had to throw myself into the fray.

What do I like about DS?  

The fact that I can say what I want without fear of recrimination and censure.  

The fact that I can post a pin up page without having to worry about it being removed.  

The fact that I can post art and/or memory and someone will take the time to really look and comment.  

The fact that most of you here are just gorgeous in every way :)

ETA:  Rachel, I completely empathize with the photo situation . I don't have heritage photos, I barely have photos of myself growing up.  Should that stop me from scrapping those memories? Surely not and yet ...
0 | 0
glitterbug
I love YOU edeena!
0 | 0
Clementine
Well..   interestingly enough I don't know about the fray.    IF you're saying there is a heated debate wherein people say there is only one way to scrappingly create..... hmmmm.   That debate mimicks the debate about LIFE itself.    That there is only one way to live.   Only one way to love.   only one way to be grateful.   only one name for God, the Great Spirit..  uh oh what's his name again?   It matters not.   For a rose by any name is still a rose!    We are natural creators.,  God made us that way.   We have a natural appreciation for beauty and wit etc.   God created us that way.   We are naturally distinct individuals.    And we shall create in our own way.   And poopy on anyone who tries to keep our beautiful light under a bushel basket or a cardboard box with BORING stamped on the side.
0 | 0
Clementine
P.S.   My favorite thing to do is put my friends and family into scenes.   I'm a prolific photographer so that's just what I do.   Does that make me what you call a memory scrapper?    Well.. whatever.    I also consider my layouts art., even with family in the picture.  It's ALL art to me!    I was amazed to discover the new scrappy trend towards art pieces void of family.    I think it's cool.
0 | 0
Tara
OMG it's 1am now and I sooo have to get into bed BUT I had to say, someone go tell the crazies that if you give lots of comments regularly then you will GET comments back regularly! And if they split it into different categories in the gallery, they will kill the site. Brains people, BRAINS! OMG! I love to comment and look at traditional pages as much as I do "digital pages". If they are going to divide it all up, I am not going to be bothered going through a heap of crap just to get to pages. Bloody twits! LOL!

Ok I am off to my bed but before I go, what I love about DS? I love you all, I love the love over here, I love the friendships, I love the scrap pages, I love the altered pages, I just freaking love everything about DS and Holl I LOVE YOU for opening this site up to the world of digital art! And all everything that is made in PS and put into the galleries is EXACTLY THAT, A-R-T, ART!
0 | 0
MissB
What I love most about DS is the fact that no matter WHAT direction anyone feel compelled to take their artistic style, it is respected.  R-E-S-P-E-C-T ... find out what it means to me ... R-E-S-P-E-C-T ... ok enough channeling a Diva.  *snort*

I went and posted in the DST thread too.  

Tara, I agree with you.  The reason traditional artist's don't seem to get many comments (it seems) is they don't put forth the effort.  Such as playing in the Praise Game, leaving comments on other artist's layouts.    What's that old saying ... to have friends you've got to be a friend?  

It gets really tiresome when every couple of weeks you feel like you hafta defend your artistic integrity.  I should just copy and paste my comments every time this subject comes up.  *sigh*
0 | 0
Clementine
Maybe you don't have to defend your artistic integrity.   not really.   Just believe in yourself whole heartedly and then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it.   
Of course  ha ha   I might not know what you all are really talking about because I don't go over to that place you speak of.    I just stay here.  don't wander much.   :-)
Now must get off the computer .... bye!
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
I am so happy to read how much people love it here.   I know that makes Hollie proud - she wanted to create a place where everyone and every style was welcome and appreciated and respected.

I don't like frays, avoid them if at all possible.   I never even heard of DST until I started here in March, so there's a whole world out there that doesn't give a flyin' flip about any of it.   And, there's a whole world out there that doesn't give a flyin' flip about my work or other sites I'm involved with, or my opinion either.   It truly is a matter of "change the channel if you don't like what you're watchin'".   From the first I've heard of DST, it seems it thrives on drama and rules and opinions and winners and whose work is good enough and whose isn't.   That's not what art is about for me and wouldn't be what scrap art would be for me if that's what I made.   But, criticism follows art, always has and always will.   And there will always be artists that throw their work into the lion's den of their "peers" to get a stamp of approval and see how they measure up - I do, all of us do to some degree if we post our work anywhere.   The trick is knowing where and deciding where to post our work to get the feedback or lack of feedback we want or don't want.   There are sites that pretty much have an understood rule of "if you can't say  anything nice, don't say anything at all" and those that welcome and encourage critique no matter how brutal.   From an outsider's point of view, there seems to be confusion on what DST's purpose is and how it's managed.   I know I have no idea about DST as I never go there and probably never will, but is it a necessary site to be involved with?   Will the scrap world keep spinning without it?  I would hate the "expert" condescending opinions that seem to keep stirring pots over there.   Maybe it's a necessary evil like death and taxes?
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Oh!  And the idea of commenting.   It's funny how comments buy comments on your own work.   I have always been troubled by that.   I like being supportive and looking at work and giving a "cheers" whenever possible but when you have 500 or so people whose work you follow in blogs, flickrs, galleries, etc, it takes some real time to get around to everyone.   For me, there's a fine line between commenting just so you get commented or seeing a  perfectly beautiful amazing work and not commenting because they never comment you.   I don't know what the answer is, but there's a false sense of popularity in comments - it's a slippery slope.  I waffle between leaving comments for people that don't get many so that they feel someone is looking and noticing, avoiding those that already have 10,0000 comments, and simply commenting the work that just flat out moves me enough to feel an uncontrollable urge to write something.
0 | 0
fairydust
interesting.....
i had a glimpse of the thread & got the jist of what was being said. i think because of some negative comments that i have read about DST & through forming my own opinion while pursuing through the galleries....it's not the place for me. i do have an account & look through the forums & galleries on rare occasion but i tend to stick with DS & also Scrapbookgraphics though i have yet to post any LOs there.
i prefer it here because as i attempt to find a set "style" of my own, i am met with lots of encouragement, support & LAUGHTER....and it would appear my "dark side" isn't too dark for this place....LOL. i can never be "cute & country," though there are many talented ladies who are & can make amazing layouts, but as i continue to struggle trying to make family pieces there is an edge to them that may not be understood or appreciated elsewhere.
i don't know why having to dissect techniques into whether they meet "valid" scrapbooking
criteria, or not, is of any importance, really...(shrug)....it's kool to see all styles in the DS gallery equally appreciated.
0 | 0
Fifi
I read the entire thread over at DST...and I saw little echoes of myself in many different replies.  And so I see myself as both "traditional" and "artsy".  I do not often post in threads like this but I must say that I feel more myself here than among purely tradional sites.  I do traditional, but I seem to be leaning into artsy more often than not, just for the thrill of trying different avenues.  So, thanks to Miss Hollie and her beautiful site, filled with amazing art work from people world wide, whatever their style may be.  Keep on creating everyone!  (((hugs
0 | 0
eryn
I had been avoiding that thread but I decided to go read it and of course had to comment! lol

There are just too many people at DST. It drives me nuts that this keeps coming up again and again, yet it's always a new face bringing it up who doesn't realise we've been through it all before. the first poster should just link up all the other threads rather than start a new discussion!

Oh and I LOVE DS!! It just feels so homely and comfortable and loving! Like we are all scrappers so therefore we are all family! No scrap that...all 'artists' as we don't discriminate against those who don't scrap! lol
And as we are family, we support each other no matter what we want to do. I may not always approve of everything my family does, but I will always support, encourage and appreciate them. And so too with all of you as you are my art family!! mwah!
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
  I waffle between leaving comments for people that don't get many so that they feel someone is looking and noticing, avoiding those that already have 10,0000 comments, and simply commenting the work that just flat out moves me enough to feel an uncontrollable urge to write something.

I could have written this as this is the way that I waffle too :)

I haven't been back to the thread at DST but I did want to say, that all those sorts of conversations, no matter where they take place, remind me of the conversations that start something like this "I'm not a racist, but ...".
0 | 0
orachel
amen!, karin! That last line..that's EXACTLY what its reminiscent of. Aw well. I ignored the topic the first 43x i saw it and inexplicably had my feelings hurt (And why oh why i CARE what these people i've never met think of me and my fellow 'travelers' in digital art, I have no idea! rofl) but finally felt the need to speak up. And i must say i expected to be filleted a bit over my comments, but everyone has been rather nice. So...i guess the moral of the story is some people just don't realize how exclusionary and hurtful their comments can be. I really don't want to believe that they set out to be hurtful...so...Said my piece now its over for me. But yes, Karin...that is EXACTLY what those comments remind me of.
0 | 0
LauraPM
I am brand new here, this is the first thing I have posted.  I'm grateful that you don't care that I am not LDS nor that LDS wouldn't want me.

I've seen the sight that you are talking about, but never paid any attention to it.  But after glancing at the conversation string the I really hope they got a group discount for all those sticks they put where "where the sun don't shine".

I do post things at a very positive supportive site SG, but it's hard feeling I can only be half myself there, and that is just not me.
I have seen some amazing work here in a variety of styles. It is uplifting and inspiring!
0 | 0
orachel
  OOOH... A Brand new Deviant!  WELCOME, LauraPM! lol We don't care WHAT kind of religious beliefs you've got, don't got (and yes, I was an English major! lol) or what sort of building you hang your hat in on your sacred days...if you even have sacred days. Just be yourself, and be genuine and you'll have an amazing time here! And I'm very sorry you've run into that sort of exclusionary mindset elsewhere. I know it can make you feel wretched. Buuut...I for one am thrilled you stopped by. Feel free to grab any of us who help out with the site...usually can tell by a 'ct' or 'designer' tag under the name, though i just realized mine is missing. Yell out if you need any help in chillin and chatter (there's a welcome thread there too, i believe) or via pm. Get yourself some inspiration in the gallery, make some new friends, find a challenge that excites you(theres some new ones coming soon!)...so glad you found us!!!
0 | 0
Hollie
2377 Posts
I am grateful for each and everyone of you!!!! I love you all to pieces and am grateful to have you all in my life...sharing, inspiring, laughing.

Laura, welcome to DS!!!! We are so happy to have you here. Please feel at home. Only rules...no wet towels on the bathroom floor and socks go in the hamper.
Hollie
Designer - Holliewood Studio   
Owner - MischiefCircus.com
0 | 0
snaggletooth75
be mad at me if you must, but have you guys ever known me not to be blunt lol

*sigh*
I can agree with both sides but then again I dont understand alot of the artsy stuff as I dont do it much. I cant see myself printing of my artsy page and adding it to my family scrap album. Therefore when i buy kits i buy stuff that really isnt fancy smancy, cause I dont see why i would spend 8 bucks on a kit that i just make for gallery purposes and have no use for in real life KWIM?
BUT thats just Me!!! i know alot of the girls and their work blows me away
BUT if someone is doing it for CT and gets it for free and the designer loves it, then go for it!!!
some designers cater to the fantasy scrappers and there is a BIG maraket for that.
there are some really awesome artsy scrappers that are really awesome girls

i DO know that alot of girls find release in scrapping for art. Kind of to take the edge off the day and they may not really want to scrap their kids who are annoying the hell out of them LOL for me on those days i wont journal LMAO if you can see by my gallery i dont journal much LOL

some people complain when there is NO journaling on a page lol so its always something someone isnt happy about
to the journaling, i dont do the sickly sweet my life and kids are perfect journaling routine i see on alot of pages. Im sorry but my hubby is a jackass sometimes and my kids are terrible brats most days LOL
in the end it isnt anyones right to say what is scrapping and what isnt period! They arent spending your money so why is it a big deal
0 | 0
snaggletooth75
OH i copied that from my post at DST LOL

I am grateful for DS cause i can be amongst some awesome fantasy girls and not be afraid i am not good enough to be in their company

I feel that ALOT of scrap sites are cliquish and i cant stand that LOL heree everyone is who they are and that is what scrapping is
0 | 0
snaggletooth75
ETA this

from DST
I WILL say that i made a really nice fantasy page and it got hardly any views so i know where the line is drawn in regards to how one can feel intimiated on where to post your pages

go to DS lol
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Well, I think something that keeps getting missed in the artsy vs. traditional scrapping conversations -

Altered art, like I what I make, is also a multi-billion dollar industry (just like the scrapping industry).   Collage and altered art have exploded into the art world in the last 10 years and lots of people that might never have tried to make art before, are making it now and selling it and doing well - from tags for packages, to notecards, journals, clothing, and decorative items for the house.  Michael's, for example, has recognized this and continues to add products for the altered artist.   There are whole lines of papers, inks, pens, and tools for the journaling, stamping, cutting, glueing, artists.   Etsy has been featured more than once in the Wall Street Journal as a hot market getting as many as 800,000 customers a day!   (Etsy is all about hand made - whether it is clothing, jewelry, cards, tags, paper, objects, or art pieces or supplies for those that make everything in between)  Stampington has a series of like 8-10 high end magazines like Somerset Studio and Digital Studio that focus on the altered art industry and they have a large world wide readership.  Their influence has been so big that it is creating many mini markets for new products.   

So all of those collage, journal, and digital collage artists, whether they create for fun or for a living, have to get images somewhere.   Etsy has dominated the market on images for a long time.   Places like DeviantScrap and Hollie are smart enough to realize that there is a cross over market between scrapping and collage or altered art.   Other sites are realizing it too and offering and marketing kits for both sides of the market. Just as it would be silly to expect photography to only include landscapes and not portraits, I think it would be silly to expect the digital image world not to include scrap pages, journal pages, altered art, AND mixed media - the cross over possibilities would be foolish for any image company not to explore.

How that all fits into the site we've been discussing?  I'm not sure.  But it may just be growing pains and purists talking.   There are purists in every audience and they usually don't take change well or growth well.   It's hard for them to accept new trends building on old ones.   We can all relate to that I'm sure.

Hope this makes sense.
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Oooh!   I meant to add - Anahata Katkin is a great example (and idol to many collage artists) of an altered artist (and the altered art market) that works with old images and in many familiar ways to many of our scrap and collage artists here.   She started out on Etsy and flickr and a blog and her work and marketing skills for her mixed media pieces have turned into https://www.papayaart.com/Papaya - a full internationally distributed catalog, staff, warehouse and actual stores!
0 | 0
LauraPM
Wow, I think I found the right place.  Not to worry, I always hang up my wet towels and I do put my dirty socks in the hamper.  Once I'm done wearing them that is.  Luckily the dog has stopped chewing up socks.

I'm not sure which would be the bigger issue for other sites, where I hang my hat, or who I hang my hat with, lol!  It is nice to feel so welcome.

I am so enthralled by the collage/altered art stuff here!  Great inspiration and validation of it being a true art form.  It has been whispering to me, and I think I'm gonna start listening.  :)

Hollie: BIG thank you's for starting DS!
0 | 0
snaggletooth75
thats true, i have been doing art journals ( whether its with markers and doodles to fabrics and buttons and ripped papers glued onto my journal page) since I was 11, so its been 23 YEARS!!
I learned from my gramma who owned a craft store for 20 years. I always was writing and she made me a creative box ( her name for it lol). She threw ribbons, pencils, markers, acrylics, buttons, string and yarn plus beads and everything you could name into a box and said you know you can use these in your journals.
I was like huh LOL
and then she showed me the endless fun and how much it helped me as a child to write and then add things to my weritings that can mimic my mood for that day.
i still do it to this day. I have about 50 creative boxes.
I have over 200 journals and it is so fun to just go back and see just how my art style has gotten better and just how stupid my rantings were as a child LOL
i dont really consider my journaling any type of art though, for me its my way to journal. its my own style, but its not something I would ever post in an online gallery cause its vey personal to me.

BTW i have never bought anything on ETsy yet lol
but i am thinking with the way I can rock making a cover for a journal i might try to sell a few that I have made for future use, IDK though, im kind of selfish I wont even give them to my daughter and she also does the journal thing

Well, I think something that keeps getting missed in the artsy vs. traditional scrapping conversations -

Altered art, like I what I make, is also a multi-billion dollar industry (just like the scrapping industry).   Collage and altered art have exploded into the art world in the last 10 years and lots of people that might never have tried to make art before, are making it now and selling it and doing well - from tags for packages, to notecards, journals, clothing, and decorative items for the house.  Michael's, for example, has recognized this and continues to add products for the altered artist.   There are whole lines of papers, inks, pens, and tools for the journaling, stamping, cutting, glueing, artists.   Etsy has been featured more than once in the Wall Street Journal as a hot market getting as many as 800,000 customers a day!   (Etsy is all about hand made - whether it is clothing, jewelry, cards, tags, paper, objects, or art pieces or supplies for those that make everything in between)  Stampington has a series of like 8-10 high end magazines like Somerset Studio and Digital Studio that focus on the altered art industry and they have a large world wide readership.  Their influence has been so big that it is creating many mini markets for new products.   

So all of those collage, journal, and digital collage artists, whether they create for fun or for a living, have to get images somewhere.   Etsy has dominated the market on images for a long time.   Places like DeviantScrap and Hollie are smart enough to realize that there is a cross over market between scrapping and collage or altered art.   Other sites are realizing it too and offering and marketing kits for both sides of the market. Just as it would be silly to expect photography to only include landscapes and not portraits, I think it would be silly to expect the digital image world not to include scrap pages, journal pages, altered art, AND mixed media - the cross over possibilities would be foolish for any image company not to explore.

How that all fits into the site we've been discussing?  I'm not sure.  But it may just be growing pains and purists talking.   There are purists in every audience and they usually don't take change well or growth well.   It's hard for them to accept new trends building on old ones.   We can all relate to that I'm sure.

Hope this makes sense.
0 | 0
Mish
I love the fact that after ages of avoiding making 'one more gallery'  I took the plunge, made a gallery today & had comments on my 2 little LO's almost instantly.   It was so nice to feel loved & appreciated right away!  You girls rock and I'll be around a *lot* more!!
0 | 0
eryn
yay Mish!! *waves*

Marsha that is really interesting that altered art is so big! It's not that I would have doubted it, but just that I never thought of it or even knew of it until recently.
And I doubt I'm the only one. the 'purists' know scrapbooking. It's what they do, it's what has always been at DST and it can be hard to accept change.
Some of us love it though! I am so happy to have discovered other ways to express myself! I haven't done much yet but I want to and just need more time. I hope also as my kids get older, that I will get out my scissors and start creating the old fashioned way again! lol I used to love cutting out intricate details for my scrap pages...it would be fun to go back there but with an altered twist!
0 | 0
Kazadoodle

Altered art, like I what I make, is also a multi-billion dollar industry (just like the scrapping industry).   Collage and altered art have exploded into the art world in the last 10 years and lots of people that might never have tried to make art before, are making it now and selling it and doing well

Yep, it's been interesting watching it explode.   I first came across altered art/art journals around 1996/1997?  Somewhere around there.  I was a rubber stamper at the time.  Maybe even earlier.  I remember loving it instantly as I couldn't stand seeing one more House Mouse stamp.  Now I had Acey Deucy, Leavenworth, etc.
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.