Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings
Forum The Fine Print Correct Use of Images in Art

Correct Use of Images in Art

naughtsncrosses
Folks,

It has brought to our attention that perhaps we need a post about proper use of imagery found on the net.

1.  Proper Use of Images in Artwork:

Most stock photo sites, or even images gathered from the internet, come with copyright restrictions and terms of use.  

For example, a lot of stock images that come from DeviantArt (DA) have terms of use that require non-commercial use (ie should not be used to promote any business - yes, that includes digital kits).  Another main TOU I've noticed with stock images there is that you are welcome to use their imagery on DA but not other sites.  Some images, if within TOU to be used outside of DA, must be linked back to the artist with due credit given (ie image of woman extracted from artwork created by .... at link).

2.  Proper Credit for Imagery Used in Artwork:

Just as most digital kits require crediting when used in artwork, all artwork used in your art should be credited appropriately.  If you use stock photography then you need to list the artist name and the site name and what you did to change it (ie photo of cat by xxx at xxx extracted by me).

For those stock items that require links back to their gallery/store etc, keep in mind that DS has a no linking to external stores policy (if you got the item for free, then a link to the

3.  Inspired by or Scraplifting:

If you see a piece of art and are inspired by it to replicate it in some form (the theme, the concept, the sentiment etc) you need to remember to give proper credit to the person who inspired you.

for example, I saw this piece created by Desert Dream Studio:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151008510506836&set=a.255410931835.149397.196903266835&type=1&theater

I saw this piece, oohed and aaahed and then it registered that Hollie's delicious new kit, Bird Boxes (her homage to Joseph Cornell), had fantastic boxes and I had her fish on strings that would go perfectly with it... off I scurried to create my own version of this piece.  It is similar, but not a complete rip off of hers, and I was sure to credit the source of the inspiration (linked back to her facebook site) so that people knew where the basis of the idea came from.  I also credited all the kits/elements used in it so that people knew where I got them from.

http://mischiefcircus.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=33722&title=inspired-by-desert-dream-studios&cat=2

I also left a post on the artist's facebook site, showing her that I had been so inspired that I created my own box, and linked her to it.

In traditional scrapping sites, if you scraplift someone, it's polite to comment on the person's piece and tell them that their image inspired you so much that you based your own artwork on it - and link them to it so they can see.  Scraplift challenges are a great kickstart to creativity, but remember to always credit the artist who inspired you!

We trust each of you to correctly credit your images/kits.  We aren't the art police, and we don't scope each piece to see if it was used correctly.  We TRUST you.

And remember, there are some shady sites out there...especially Tubes sites. If you see artwork being sold cheap, it's probably not with permission from the creating artist. You have to be careful.
0 | 0
eklektik
Edeena, thank you for sharing this well thought out information. I can see you put a great deal of effort into making this important issue very clear. I'm always amazed and appreciative at the vast number of artists who offer their work for others to use, and yet ask only for attribution in return!!! As some people are already aware, I have long been a major proponent of respecting copyrights and intellectual rights. Although I am aware that my work is in no danger of being 'stolen' or misused, I still would be quite upset if that were to happen to me!!
Some may see what you've written as 'more rules' but actually I would encourge them to see it as more 'freedom'!  In respecting other peoples rights, I've enjoyed an increased sense of appreciation by others whose work I've used (its an awesome feeling when the originating artist likes what you've created using their work) - also a more enjoyable sense of belonging to the art community where there is shared trust. So! Yes, I support what you've written and will continue with my best efforts to do so with respect to my own work.

Again, thank you!!!
0 | 0
Balinda
Thanks for the reminder.
It really bothers me not to see things properly credited, but that is because I come from a background of sig tag making and writing for an artist's persmission to use their images was the norm before Pay to Use became to prevalent.  I notice a lot of art work by artists who make their living being used all over the net in LO's and I think it's just a lack of information and the fact that's it's on the net, some people think it's a free for all.

And you are right...that is a very mild reprimand. I have seen very ugly and irate letters from very well known artists and they DO take legal action.
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
GREAT post Edeena!  Thanks so much for sharing this.
0 | 0
peggyg
1 Posts
I recently posted "terms of use" in chillin and chatter because I DON'T want to post or use in error!
I try to be very careful, Please always correct me if I make an error!
thanks for all the info!!!
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
I'm glad this is of some use to you all!!  At the end of the day, we all do things we don't realise are infringements... I wish I had been given information like this when I first started scrapping, as I am confident that I was clueless about this stuff when I first started digiscrapping!!

As we become more TOU-savvy, and designers name their property so that we know who created it and which kit/piece it is, it makes our lives so much easier, too!  When I first started scrapping, most kits were just named paper 1 and element 1 and - because I read it was easier to store your digital stash in folders like "papers" and "elements" I dragged them ALL into those folders, regardless of designer, and what do you know?  Not only did the computer overwrite existing named files (because a dozen papers ALL named paper 1 made for a really poor process) but I lost track of who created what in a nanosecond!  AARRGH.  Nightmare.

Really, we don't set out to ignore designers or fail to give credit - sometimes we trust the wrong people/stores or get confused with TOUs.   We artists aren't always perfect, and we learn from our mistakes.
0 | 0
foxeysquirrel
Edeena,
Thank you for your honesty in explaining how we should all be doing things.
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
Edeena,
Thank you for your honesty in explaining how we should all be doing things.

You're welcome, Teddi - I'm glad it was of use to you.
0 | 0
OrianaVianey
I agree with everything but crediting the inspiration.
We all browse dozens of galleries and is almost impossible to track it down.
I´ve made layouts that end up a mix and match of tons of ideas that I got from different sources at some point in my life.
I agree that if you copy a layout you should give credit, but for inspiration... no
If I credit everything I´m inspired I´ll end crediting the clothes of my kid and my perfume...
0 | 0
Billa
Hi Edeena, thanks for trying hard to make clear how to give correct  credits. I have to admit that in lots of my pages I used images I  gathered a long long time ago where I began to scrap only for my own  pleasure. AND at that time I only saved the pictures without noting the  source where they have been coming from.

Of course I am prepared  to accept the "rules" as far as possible, but I would be glad if I was  allowed to use the mentioned pictues, not to promote a kit, but just to  create what's coming into my mind. For my CTs I normally only use the  given papers and elements ... but sometimes I have more ideas and do a  third one where I include another  image ... in future I'll mention the  author to respect the copy right and demonstrate respect for what he's  been photographing or creating ... so what to do if I don't know where I  got the used one from? Will I get a ticking-off in this case? I really  love to have found this place and won't do anything that does damage to  DS. Only some freedom I've the feeling I'm in need of ... it's not  always easy to exactly find a figure to express what's going on in my  mind.

I'm glad I finally came to this thread, informed by friends  to get aware of  what in my naivety I have been mostly neglecting without  having the feeling to do something wrong. Please accept my appologies  for this.

I try to do my best in future ... but would be sad to never ever use my older collection or stock.

xo Billa
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
That's a good point, Billa.  I am sure we all have images in our stash that we can't remember where we got them from.  I think in cases like that, if you can't remember where you got the image from, you could acknowledge in your credits that it isn't your image and what you may have done to it (extracted, recoloured etc).  That way, if someone comes trawling through the gallery and sees their image you can't get in trouble because you haven't claimed it as your own.
0 | 0
eklektik
http://creativecommons.org/Creative Commons is a good resource for free images you might consider using if you are looking for some that would be safe to use in your work. On the right of their site is a box labelled "Explore" which leads you to their search engine to include Google, Wikimedia, and Flickr images licensed under 'Creative Commons' for commercial and/or public use. When searching there are check boxes under the search area where you can specify what type of 'use' you are looking for including images you can adapt and build on. You have to check the license for each image as they vary, but many creators just ask for attribution and some are public domain.

Creative Commons also offers free licensing for your own creative works.

Hope this is of some help!
0 | 0
Billa
Thanks Edeena for your understanding ... sorry I'm answering only now ... I feel relieved to not always know the author but will do as you said and in future exactly note down where I got my pictures from.

And Marie ... thanks for the helpful information ... you really are a fine and helpful person ... PM follows!

xo Billa
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.