Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

image transfer

pankerbelle
I am fascinated lately with image transfer. Has anybody out there tried this? If so do tell your best method. I get really frustrated sometimes with my results and I am constantly looking for a better way.
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
I actually know what you're talking about, but I suck so bad at physical art I couldn't even begin to imagine how you'd go about it.  Have you tried the transfer printer paper?  I have seen several scrappers use them for t-shirts or bags with great result (just remember to reverse the image so that it prints on the right side when it's ironed on) and I know there are a bunch of physical artists who wax transfer or wax their photos...

Is there a particular style you're wanting to try?
0 | 0
skyezak
I'm enrolled in Claudine Hellmuth's 12 week workshop over at Big Picture Scrapbooking and one of the techniques we're learning in week one is to do an image transfer. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds fun. So will let you know or post a photo of what I attempt to do LOL!
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
Sharon, that sounds like brilliant fun!!  I can't wait to see what you make!!
0 | 0
Two Dresses Studio
Pankerbelle - image transfer techniques
Oh Yes!!! I've tried several different versions of image transfers. Depending on your budget, one of the best ways I found is called TAP - and here is thehttp://www.interweavestore.com/quilting/merchandise/tap-transfer-artist-paper-by-lesley-riley.html link. I've also had varying degrees of success with attaching tissue paper to a regular piece of copy paper and running it through my printer. It depends on how fussy your printer is and how well you attach it, but this can be a great way to build semi-transluscent layers to a mixed media piece. After printing it you can cut out the image you have transferred and adhere it to your collage with matte medium.   This is a great archival/acid free way too.  Packing tape transfers are fun as well, although you are somewhat restricted because of the width of the tape.
From my experience, only two magazines work well (due to the type of ink) for using another great method. These magazines are National Geographic and Martha Stewart Living. Choose your image, and apply several (5-6) layers of matte medium  to the image letting each layer dry. Once you're finished. you can run the image under water and begin to gently rub off the paper on the uncoated side. First I use a sponge and as the paper rubs off and gets closer to the hardened matte medium,  I use my fingers to rub the paper off because I can 'feel' when it's getting down to the hardened matte medium.   You can also tell when it's done because it doesn't have a milky appearance to it.  I've seen other people achieve similar results with plain old white glue, like Elmer's but I don't know if this is an acid-free solution.

Hope this helps!  Good luck!
0 | 0
pankerbelle
Awesome yall ! I have done several using modge podge and canvas boards,however this is a tedious process and often leaves me wondering why I started the project to begin with HAHA. Acetone works well and is a little better but will sometimes damage your goods. I am anxious to try the the methods suggested here. If I come up with something presentable Ill post pics.

Thanks
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
I LOOOOOVE the look of image transfer - (I usually go with Trudi's techniques with gel medium using ink jet prints - but I also love using clear tape & clear contact paper).

But I've been soliciting designers for years to develop a "digital style" to mimic the look.  Anyone? Anyone?

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
peonyblue
I'm late to the game here (just FINALLY got net access at home again after a BILLION YEARS...), but I
0 | 0
CircleofLifeStudioScraps
I use the gel medium method with the best results. But I prefer to print the image reversed, as when you remove the paper from the image, you will have one matte side and one side with more shine. Decide which way you want the image to face and print it that way.  You can also do a transfer with a transparency. http://youtu.be/BnF1WpxMsBsCheck it out: I am doing this method today in my Art Journal. It takes your digital art into a new dimension.
There are lost of videos on this page for transfers too!
0 | 0
martavaneck
969 Posts
I come from Poland. Live in Germany now...
Yes. I also got a really great results with acetone or  just nails remover. One think is not very cool using this method is the  SMELL...
Visit my store to grab some weird stuff.

0 | 0
peonyblue
No kidding.  And it *lingers*, boyhowdy.  I love the look, but when they say Well-Ventilated....they MEAN *well-ventilated*.
0 | 0
martavaneck
969 Posts
I thought my Air Purifiers will solve problem with lingers..but NOPE... It did not help. So I am now doing this in my cellar where it stinks all the time

0 | 0
martavaneck
969 Posts
What do you mean with: to develop a " digital style"? I would take a challenge just not sure what  you expect.. an action or layered styles in photoshop that help create that image transfer look of some media like brushes and textures?

I LOOOOOVE the look of image transfer - (I usually go with Trudi's techniques with gel medium using ink jet prints - but I also love using clear tape & clear contact paper).

But I've been soliciting designers for years to develop a "digital style" to mimic the look.  Anyone? Anyone?

0 | 0
peonyblue
Shot in the dark here, since I haven't tried it, but wouldn't Atomic Cupcake's "rough litho" overlaid over an Ortonized version of the original look a bit like a transfer?  You'd get the slight haziness from the orton, then the scratchybits and rough edges around the design with the litho -- might be worth a shot?
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
What do you mean with: to develop a " digital style"? I would take a challenge just not sure what  you expect.. an action or layered styles in photoshop that help create that image transfer look of some media like brushes and textures?

Yes - Yes & Yes Marta! A thousand times YES!  I always imagined it as styles --- a gel medium transfer style look, transfer tape style (would hopefully be 2 or 3 of this one)...   You'd get the 'sketchy' edges & bleedthrough with the texture showing too...

OOOOHHHH, I dream I dream!!!

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
Joan
And polaroid transfers....::....RIP polaroid film.  My daylab jr will be waiting for a triumphant return someday, when it's retro enough. LOL.
http://shop.the-impossible-project.com/shop/film
I haven't tried it, but I really want to!

And Polaroid themselves have made a new instant camera it seems.  It's kind of intriguing because the film is business card size, so maybe some cool ATC potential?
http://store.polaroid.com/product/0/354635/PIF-300/_/300_Instant_Film
http://store.polaroid.com/product/0/354634/PIC-300/_/300_Instant_Camera
I just stumbled across it when I was looking up the other film, so I'm kind of curious now.  If I found a good sale on one it would be tempting.
0 | 0
Joan
Thanks everyone for the different methods and links to methods! :)  Image transfer of some sorts is on my short list of things to try in the next little while... think I need to do some photocopying and try at least a couple of them!
0 | 0
sherrieJD
Thanks everyone for the different methods and links to methods! :)  Image transfer of some sorts is on my short list of things to try in the next little while... think I need to do some photocopying and try at least a couple of them!

joan, there "might" be some of these techniques showing up soon in a certain little class you're taking
0 | 0
Joan
joan, there "might" be some of these techniques showing up soon in a certain little class you're taking
0 | 0
martavaneck
969 Posts
Yes - Yes & Yes Marta! A thousand times YES!  I always imagined it as styles --- a gel medium transfer style look, transfer tape style (would hopefully be 2 or 3 of this one)...   You'd get the 'sketchy' edges & bleedthrough with the texture showing too...

OOOOHHHH, I dream I dream!!!

I will see if I can do this :) I am sure I have to practice that on real images to see what do you need to get with digital style :) But perhaps it is possible :)
Girls gives so many link that I already start to visit everyone of them :

0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.