Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings
Forum The Fine Print Backup Availability

Backup Availability

WaterRabbit
Couldn't think of a better title, but I think I'm at least in the right category.

Was looking at my hard drive space and while I realized I have a LOT of kits from DS, I hadn't realized that just saving all the zip files is over 40 Gigs. Now, I do backup my HDs when I remember to an external drive. But I was wondering if there's any kind of backup built into the site. If I have a catastrophic failure, could I re-download kits that I'd already paid for but lost? Do I need to save my zip files for backup?

Any thoughts?
0 | 0
bethr
Hollie has reset Downloads for folks, but If you can..save your zips on an EHD somewhere. Designers quit designing or move around or remove products and have disasters themeselves as do store servers sometimes fail and lose product. It can get kludgey but I would save what I cant do without, at least, as space permits.  That's how I roll anyway....LOL Hey I've also noticed some places will charge a fee for a reset!!! bummer!
0 | 0
Balinda
Hollie is way awesome and has reset links for me but even since I have been here actively stalking designer stores there have been some that have left.
I am paranoid about losing my supplies only because it has happened to me once. I had my digi stash on just one EHD. Just out of the blue it quit working. No trauma to it whatsoever.
Now I back up on 2. So if one bites the dust I at least have the other.  I don't worry with burning to discs because I am just too lazy to dig through them for what I want.
0 | 0
javamonster
Zip files can get corrupted (they easily go to the Darkside)--I've had several attacked by viruses, for some reason. I periodically back my unzipped files (and the zipped ones) on a EHD, BUT, as I buy, I also burn onto DVD disc. At some point, I'm going to get a second EHD that's large enough to be a secondary back up for a just in case scenerio.

I've also recently started going through all my digital photos and burning THOSE to DVD disc, too. When format changes happen, I'll probably DL those on the new formats, too, so I don't lose them. Remember floppys? Remember those smaller discs? Well, I can't access those at all anymore. Fortunately I don't have anything worth DLing from them anyway.

But I have been hearing more and more often in the three store forums I frequent (here, Sweet Shoppe, Designer Digital) of hard drive failures, so I'm growing more paranoid.
0 | 0
Hollie
2377 Posts
Hi Ladies. Thanks for answering.

Yes, I do reset links. Losing a HD or EHD is a heartbreak. That said, I strongly suggest backing up to some other form....another HD, DVDs, etc. Designers move, product gets discontinued and other random things....then, I can't help you :(

I have found 1.5T EHD for around $100.00. That is worth every penny!
Hollie
Designer - Holliewood Studio   
Owner - MischiefCircus.com
0 | 0
eryn
omg yes backup. I lost some of me files recently. It was only my zipped folder that stuffed up, but that was the only folder that wasn't backed up yet as it was all new stuff! lol

I now have 3 EHDs. A small one that I use mostly, a 1tb for stuff that doesn't fit on the small one and also photos and then a 2tb to back them both up plus the c drive.

Yes Hollie is awesome and will reset your downloads HOWEVER....I'd like to point out that some other stores will not reset links for a reason....It takes time.
So you need to take responsibility for your files (as they are yours now, not the stores) and get them backed up.
I say this not trying to be bitchy as I had to ask Hollie to reset those links only a few weeks ago!  but in the hope that more people will back up so that Hollie has less work to do. She doesn't get paid for resetting links. She doesn't HAVE to do it, so if we can try to not ask her then I'm sure it will make things easier for her to do other awesome things for the site!

If you lose your stuff then please still ask. Just do what you can to not lose it in the first place!
0 | 0
eryn
damn. that wasn't meant to sound bitchy or rude. Just trying to help!
0 | 0
Tara
Bwahahaha Ez!!! Not bitchy at all girl but I know what ya mean about the other stores. Sometimes it like asking them to cut their arms and legs off. LOL!

I have the 2 EHD's here and wanting another one already but when I download a kit I unzip it straightaway (I hate sorting through 1000's of zip files LOL) and put it into it's folder, say a Hollie kit, it will go into my folder called Scrap Kits and then into one called Holliewood Studios and then the kit name. Once I use that kit, it gets put on my big EHD and ready to be burnt to disc when I go and do a big backup day. I don't back up half has much as I should but I once lost a whole years worth of photos of my girls and WOW did I cry for months and months and months. Makes you sick to the gut when it hits you. I hope you can get something sorted Hun. :
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
I download everything to an EHD that is just for backing up my zips.  After I've unzipped & organized, then I move the 'working files' to my working EHD and also to my traveling portable HD's (since I spend so much time on the road).  So every digi file is in 3 places.  

I have an EHD just for photos - backing those up to DVD and when I'm really good, another EHD which I leave with my Mom. (I act as off-site back up for photos for a couple of my friends, and have saved them from losing all of their photos in a couple of instances by doing this)

Having worked in banking, I've learned the wisdom of backing up off-site. A broken down hard drive is a PITA, but a fire or tornado or flood or other unforeseen event is going to eat all of your back-ups that are at home.

Last week I saw a 3TB EHD for $149!!!!  

I see asking the stores to restore my files as the hope against hope ... and dream come true if they do.

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
Enchanted
Love it, jPA. Where did you see the ehd for $149!? I want one.

b
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
I just found a 3TB EHD with USB 3.0 for $129 at Best Buy!!!!!!!!!!!  
A my Book - which I've had GREAT luck with in the past.

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
LegacyofBlue
I have everything backed up to an EH, but I'm hoping to get another soon to be a back-up for my back-up.
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.