Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

My Alice Shrine

glitterbug
I figured since this month's Muse highlights alters and shrines I would make a sort of shrine to one of my favorite subjects...Alice in Wonderland!  Alice is favorite among us altered artists.  To get some great inspiration just go to flickr and put in a search for "altered art alice" and see some amazing pieces.  

First thing after you decide what to put in your shrine is to find a vessel that will hold it.  I LOVE old boxes and drawers.  The best ones are those wooden cheese boxes that you can usually find for a couple of bucks.  Also, sewing machine cabinet drawers are also great stood up on end.  You could use a shadowbox, an altoid tin, even a matchbox would work.

Here is a crude drawer I found at my local flea market for a buck.

Next I went into a search for the images I wanted to use.  I decided to re-enact the scene where Alice meets the caterpillar.  My friend Melissa here found a great http://dendritics.com/scales/alice.aspsite that has public domain illustrations that you can color in photoshop or you can buy any one of the wonderful digi kits out there based on Alice.  This site also has a copy of the actual text and that is what I used as my background.  I found the chapter in which she met the caterpillar and then copied and pasted it into a text document.  I then randomly chose words and enlarged the text to make it more visual appealing.

I printed out my images in the sizes needed and then I glued my cardstock to some chipboard for stability.  I always use a sharpie marker to blacken the white edges after trimming.  Next I glued in the background type and started glueing some moss to the top of my box.

Then I started to place my images.  I wanted the mushroom to be slightly elevated so it would look like Alice was looking up to see it so I used some foam core board to do it.  

Next I continued to glue the moss to cover the foam board and the bottom of the box.  I also added some rocks and a pinecone for some dimension.  I decided I needed something hanging from the "ceiling" so I used those black and white ball lanterns from Hollie's new kit Enchanted.

Then I turned my attention to the top of my shrine.  Again I used an image from the Enchanted kit for my topper and found a crown from my stash.  I had to include my title on my topper too.  

All I needed to do is glue in Alice and VOILA!  It's finished!  

and here it is from another view so you can see the dimension...

I hope you all will give making an altered shrine a go!  I would love to see what you come up with.  

Tracey
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
Love it Tracey!!! Love Love Love it!  

What a find & bargain on those amazing aged drawers ... and you did it up right.

I love every single detail, the moss & rocks are toooo wonderful in that dark drawer and really bring the paper elements to life. GORGEOUS!

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
eryn
wow!! that is absolutely stunning! So tempting to try something like it! Thanks for the inspiration Tracey!
0 | 0
maggiebean
Tracey, once again you created something stunning. I love the scene created in this one. It's one of my favorite books, and you done a fantastic job recreated the scene. :
0 | 0
eryn
So do I get egged, stoned or kicked out for saying that I own the book yet have never read it....
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
Ooooooh, Tracey!  You make such GORGEOUS physical art!!!  I LOVE your shrine!!
0 | 0
Scrappie Irene
OMG! Isn't this the most beautiful hybrid shrine ever!!!!!
0 | 0
Ren
Gorgeous, love it!
0 | 0
Just gorgeous!!
0 | 0
WaterRabbit
It's really beautiful. You know, I always felt a kinship with Alice. It wasn't until a few years ago that I discovered I was born on Lewis Carroll's birthday so it all makes sense!!!
0 | 0
Tumble Fish Studio
Tracey . . . you are simply so amazing.  This is gorgeous and this is so enchanting!  You wow me with every piece!
0 | 0
glitterbug
I just wanted to thank everyone for their sweet comments on my Alice piece!  I had such a fun time making it that I wanted to share it with all of you who inspire me everyday.
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
So do I get egged, stoned or kicked out for saying that I own the book yet have never read it....

Well Eryn, if eggs were a deal on the book, I'd vote for egged, but they're not... & I'd rather not have it be "OFF WITH HER HEAD"... SO I' instead challenge you to start reading a chapter or two a day to the twins and get them to help you come up with LO ideas along the way...

I'll do it with Z if you're up to the challenge!

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
eryn
ugh I suck at challenges! You're gonna have to remind me! lol
0 | 0
WaterRabbit
I'll read it to my cats and play along!
0 | 0
Enchanted
Gorgeous!! Thank you so much for the inspiration! I just love Alice.

b :
0 | 0
NBCrowabout
Tracey! This is so darn flipping cool! I just love it to pieces! Questions....the paper bits ie Alice, mushroom etc...are those also adhered to chip board? And what type glue do you use? I would love to give something like this a go down the road! *Squeal* hee hee

and Awesomeness to Water Rabbit! *smiles*
0 | 0
glitterbug
Yes, nance, they are adhered to a pretty thick chipboard.  I use matte gel medium to glue and then sometimes I go over my pieces with a glossy coat of mod podge if that's the effect I want.
0 | 0
NBCrowabout
Thank you Tracey! I hope to see more of these from you! You so rock at this!
0 | 0
Karen_Johnson
Oh Tracey... I'm swooning over here...

What page ya on Eryn??? heehehe!

Kxxx
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.