Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

tablet

caryscholes
Hey - does anyone/everyone use a tablet when you are creating in photoshop or paintshop? As I have stated, I am really new to this, and am trying to do this all with a mouse...and my results are HIDEOUS! Squiggly lines galore!! I am wondering if I would have better results if I had a tablet??? If so, do they all work with those programs?? I see there are about a billion different choices available...
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
oh, good question.  I use a mouse - but there are several tablet users amongst us.

Whilst you battle with a mouse, there are some fun tutorials and tips in here.  Might give you some strategies til you decide either way?  :
0 | 0
WaterRabbit
I have a tablet (a small Wacom) and find myself still using my mouse for most things. It's just there and since I use it for most regular functions (clicking and double-clicking is just a pain with a stylus for me) I end up not using the tablet.
0 | 0
caryscholes
thank you...I am going to have to do some research!
0 | 0
maggiebean
I'm a tablet/mouse user. Tending to fluctuate between mouse and tablet. What are you trying to do with the mouse? you say you have squiggly lines..If you are drawing to add to your pieces you can draw on paper with a sharpy, I choose to use a black sharpy and decide whether you want a fine line or thick line and use that type of sharpy. Draw on white paper then scan the image and extract the image then save as a png to use. This will keep your background transparent around the extracted image.

Tablets can be tricky for first time users, my suggestion would be to start with basic cut and paste techniques playing with all the tools in your program to add texture, definition, depth, transformation etc. You will find that just doing those things alone add so much to your art. Then if you really like it and find you need more options pick up a tablet..lock yourself in a room for a day and play. Seriously it takes some getting used to and can be frustrating. There are tutorials on youtube that will walk you through it though.

Mostly I use my tablet for Painter 11, and when I just get tired of using my touchpad.

My programs of choice are Photoshop CS 3 (yeah i'm behind on my upgrade ;)  and Corel Draw X 5, along with painter 11. Most things are done in Photoshop. PS is a little tougher to learn but in the end it's a program that will give you longevity. Corel Draw also has a learning curve and personally I only like it for industry work.

Good luck with your endevors and hope to see some of your work soon.
0 | 0
caryscholes
I have been using corel paintshop photopro 3 - I am right now just trying to do things like extract images, etc. And, trying to teach myself everything is exhausting, frustrating, etc.! ugh! I am not sure I will ever get anything ready to upload! :) I have completed one image that isn't TOTALLY embarrassing, and I finished it at about 4 in the morning...if I can get it to download, I will try to post it... be gentle! it is a first, and I am a newbie!!  This is my niece, Amber, the fairy princess, all decked out in deviant scrap stuff! :)

0 | 0
maggiebean
Personally, I think   d this one! Your extraction is very good especially for a newbie! I like your composition on the piece and the way you utilized the flower elements.

I can't help you with the program as I don't use it to create lo's, but you can google for tutorials and they should pop up, along with youtube videos if you learn easier that way.

It takes time to learn a program and it can get frustrating at times, but it gets easier each time like anything else.  Just keep plugging along and enjoy the learning process.

Oh and don't know if you know this yet but control z is the shortcut for undo..get to know your shortcuts for the program you are using. They do sell keybord stickers as well, but I just kept a printout next to my station and learned them a little at a time.

have fun and keep sharing your art! :
0 | 0
caryscholes
whoot whoot! thank you very much! I thought it turned out pretty cute, but was scared to show it to anyone!! It helps to have a cute subject!

I have be fondant-ing cakes all day...I am going to bed!
0 | 0
bethr
Oh Amber looks right at home as a fairy princess! and you certainly have the knack of the extraction! the digi world moves so fast that we are always newbies at something..lol.
0 | 0
eryn
that is a fabulous first extraction! You should be very proud! And she is so cute!

As for the tablet...I have one and love it and could never go back. BUT I use the mouse for nearly everything! I only use the tablet when I am extracting, doing fine detail work (it's much more precise than a mouse), drawing, writing etc. I sign my name on some pieces with the pen. I hand journal on some layouts and I have played with drawing and doodling.

Depending on your program you may still have trouble with wiggly lines even with the pen. Illustrator is the best program to use. PS doesn;t give smooth lines unless you are zoomed in. So the pen may not be benificial for you anyway. Also although I use my pen for extracting, I recommend to newbies to use Tara's pen tool technique (pen tool does not equal teblet pen). Her tut is http://mischiefcircus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63HERE and it is fabulous. If I didn't already use my pen and layer masks then I would do it that way.

So having said that, you don't need a pen. But I would still never give mine up! I love it.
If you do get one. Put your mouse away until you get used to using the pen. I;ve read of so many people buying them and then not getting used to it and so never using it. Use it. Constantly. Until you are able to combine pen and mouse if you like without forgetting you own the pen. (or just use the pen...many do and they come with touch pads now too so you really don't need the mouse).
0 | 0
eryn
oh also...photo restoration, colouring images etc...pen is much better than a mouse for those.
0 | 0
reelynn
I LOVE my tablet.  I use it for everything, not just photoshop.  I don't use a mouse anymore.  I can't use a mouse, it bugs me that I have to keep picking it up and moving it rather than just touching the corresponding part on the tablet to touch that part of the screen.  DH HATES the tablet.  He doesn't hold the pen right though and I think that is part of his problem.  You need to hold the pen like you would a normal pen or it feels awkward.  Your page looks great by the way.
0 | 0
Melissa
I have the large Wacom tablet and I love it!  I use it for everything.  My pen has a clicker on the side so I can do double clicks, delete and other things just like with the right and left clicks on the mouse.  I could never go back to using a mouse.  You will be amazed at how quickly you can extract and clean up images.  I agree with the last post....put your mouse away and just use the tablet for a few weeks until you get comfortable with it.  :-
0 | 0
martavaneck
1 Posts
I also work with big tablet. For me the most important is working area. I am also web developer and I designs also lot of graphic and use this tablet like a mouse. I got Aiptek 1400u a4. I must say it was cheap and very good.
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.