Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings
Forum Tips and Tutorials Storing PSD's on your computer?!

Storing PSD's on your computer?!

Enchanted
I was reading a tip the other day and it amazed me. I had to try it for myself and was amazed at the result.

I hate the fact that my psd's take about 85 mgs each usually. The tip was to put a blank, all white layer on top of your layout before you save. I don't get it, but it reduces my layouts by about 25mgs and the layouts are okay when I reload them. I love it.

Can anyone tell me more about why this works?

hth someone,     Barbara
0 | 0
eryn
no idea why it works as it still has to store that layer information!
I've read this before, but as I like to see the thumbnails of my psds, I've never tried it before.
0 | 0
eryn
i just had a play around too.

My original psd was 187
when I added a white layer on top it was 153
when i turned off (eye) all my layers it was 152
(I did that by putting all the layers into a group and just switching the group eye off)

AND THEN.... When I made a new folder, made a preview and put my smaller file into it, I can still see the thumbnails for my psds despite the smaller sizes! It will be a pain, but it actually doesn't take very long and could save a lot of space.

thanks barbara!
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
These days, I  save mine as TIFF instead of PSD, saves a ton of space and it works just as well.  I must try the white layer with the PSD files I have though
0 | 0
orachel
Hmmm...that is intriguing! Wonder if it would still work if you turned off the eye (visibility) of the white layer?
0 | 0
Enchanted
it seems like it should work even with the 'eye' turned off. isn't the layer still there if it is saved as part of the psd? I think that relates to Eryn's post above? I'm lost a bit today so if it doesn't make sense, just ignore! lol

b
0 | 0
orachel
Wow, well I'll definitely try that then! If you can turn off the visibility of the white layer then you should still be able to see the psd image when you click on it in windows explorer, which is essential for me.  What a cool tip this is!
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
If you turn the white layer off, it doesn't work.

My file was 254 MB, put on the white layer, went down to 220, turned off the white layer, and it went up to 255 (all figures approx)

Saved it as a TIFF file and it went down to 140MB.
0 | 0
orachel
Oh gak..well that's no fun! rofl Thanks for the experiment, Karin!
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.