Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

Atc

Shary
Hi

I am a newbie to digital ATCs and having problems. Can anyone tell me how to make ATCs in photoshop please? I have tried to do a new file for 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 but it keeps changing the size and then when I try to use the colour splash kit I can't change the size of the papers to ATC size or if I try to drag the papers over to the actual ATC it only shows a portion of the paper.
Sorry if it's a bit of a duh question but I really want to get into digital ATCs. I already do digi scrapping.

TIA
Shary
x
0 | 0
eryn
you are doing it right. Make sure the size is in inches and the resolution is 300dpi.

With the papers you are dragging a 12" paper into a tiny space a fraction of the size. So you need to scale it down dramatically.

What I do (sort of cheating) is I worked out the largest size I could using the proportions of an atc and I have it saved as a preset file. It comes to 8.5x11.9". This way I can make my atcs using 12" papers and elements easily. And when I resize for web it still looks the same as an atc.
Doing it this way also gives me better quality and resolution if I ever decide to print bigger than an atc. For instance I would love to get some of my atcs printed on canvas for my wall so having the larger size will be very helpful.
I hope that isn't more confusing! You don't have to do it that way, but I like it.
If you stick to the regular size then just reduce the scale a lot!
0 | 0
Shary
Ok so you make the ATC the 8.5x11.9 and then just drag the papers onto this? and then when showing it in a gallery you change the size in say Photobucket? Is this right? Sorry and thanks very much for the reply.

Shary
x
0 | 0
LegacyofBlue
I make my digital ATC's 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 in photoshop, just make sure you're inputting the new file size in inches, at 300 dpi. When you're scaling down papers or items, make sure you are putting on your transform options, then just "drag" the corners down to the size you need. I find that is the easiest way if you're just kind of starting out and wanting to experiment with size. If you make the ATC bigger in photoshop, you can resize it there as well, just save it in the higher resolution/size file, and then go to image - size, and change the presets to the size you want, then just re-save the file.
Hope that helps.
0 | 0
Shary
Thank you that was really helpful, just in the process of trying it out now.

Shary
x
0 | 0
eryn
No matter which size you make it you then need to resize for the web....

there are freebie actions around that will resize and sharpen for you. These are fabulous and then you just save onto your computer and upload to the gallery from there.

With atcs you have to go a step further though. If it is in landscape orientation it will resize it fine. If it is portrait then it will resize wrong. Go to Image>Image Size and change the height to 600px. The width will adjust accordingly.

(the galleries have a max size of 600px so make sure your longest size is 600 and you will be fine)

Tara has a free action for this here at DS
http://www.mischiefcircus.com/shop/product.php?productid=18563&cat=0&page=1

hope this helps :
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1 Posts
I just love when someone asks a question like this one --- and hearing all the answers! I ALWAYS learn something.  Eryn, I love that you size so big so that you have the option of making an art journal page from it, a jumbo ATC or a regular ATC. Brilliant!
0 | 0
Shary
Yes it's great, thank you for all your help.

I think I got it now. I've managed 1 ATC and put it in the gallery, not brilliant but I WILL get there.

Shary
x
0 | 0
Enchanted
This is great information. The idea of starting larger is brilliant. Thanks!!  :
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.