Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings
Forum Cut & Paste InkJet Transparency - Gel Transfer

InkJet Transparency - Gel Transfer

sherrieJD
Hi all,

I thought I would share a portion of this week's Art Journal Project 52 video tutorials. For my page this week, I did a (successful) inkjet transparency transfer. It went so smoothly, I thought it would be nice to share with everyone.

Supplies Used for the Inkjet portion only:

Wet Glue - Golden Gel Soft Matte
Sponge brush for applying wet glue
brayer
InkJet Transparency (LaserJet prints will not work with this process)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15141863@N00/5454704531/http://www.flickr.com/photos/15141863@N00/5454704531/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15141863@N00/5454704531/http://www.flickr.com/photos/15141863@N00/5454704531/SJD_P52_Week7_Final500 by http://www.flickr.com/people/15141863@N00/sherriejd, on Flickr

Vid1
0 | 0
sherrieJD
Hey Hollie, can you do your magic so the video will work in here? thanks!
0 | 0
Hollie
2377 Posts
All set now.

I was actually wanting to play with transparency paper. What brand did you use? I am having a hard time finding some.
Hollie
Designer - Holliewood Studio   
Owner - MischiefCircus.com
0 | 0
reelynn
sounds like fun, I will have to try this out.
0 | 0
sherrieJD
i have no idea why the video is not showing up. any ideas hollie? it's the same video i have in my class this week and it works there :
0 | 0
sherrieJD
h., i didn't use transparency paper. i printed on just a regular inkjet transparency that i get from the office supply store. easy peasy.
0 | 0
Hollie
2377 Posts
I see it. Anyone else? Maybe you are caching an old page?
Hollie
0 | 0
anubis1
Hollie I don't see it..................
0 | 0
joray
I see it. It doesn't make sense to me that some can and some can't.
0 | 0
Hollie
2377 Posts
Hey Sherrie. Why don't you try posting the video in a new post?
Hollie
0 | 0
skyezak
I can see the video too :
0 | 0
sherrieJD
i can see it when i come in here from FireFox but NOT from Internet Explorer. i'll try a new post. if that doesn't work, i'll put it out on youtube.
0 | 0
eklektik
I'm using Internet Explorer, so of course I cannot see the video!! heavy sigh!
I recently starting using this technique and am loving it! I had wanted to economically create some stamps using my own designs, but have come to the conclusion that inkjet transfers are a fabulous substitute...

Hollie! I have had great success using Office Depot brand of inkjet transparencies...I think that Staples will definitely have them also...as Sherrie said any office supply store will have them.
0 | 0
orachel
I just saw this thread. I don't remember exactly how it was done, thinking it was just the tape and a bone folder (for scratching) but I used to do a transfer thing with clear packing tape!!! Soooo cheap and easy! Anyway, if you've got an inkjet printer (won't work with laser, i don't think if memory serves) and some clear packing tape, give it a whirl. I theeenk, if I'm remembering right, you just put the tape on the image you want transfered, rub bone folder or ruler across it a bunch of times, then wet your fingers and gently rub away the paper. When you're done, you're left with just the clear tape that now has your image on it really dreamy and transparent. You can then cut out the image from the piece of tape, or just glue it or whatever. i used to do this all the time when i was doing stuff with microscope slides, since they're glass and the final tape with image on it is sorta see through and makes really cool effect.

Anyway, just thought i'd pop that in here for those who are $$$ challenged with buying art supplies like me!
0 | 0
cfalbro
I'm at work on IE and I can't see it : (  I'll check on Chrome when I get home.
0 | 0
cfalbro
I was able to see the video on Google Chrome : )
Just FYI :
0 | 0
cfalbro
I was wondering if there is anything that can be used in place of the transparency that will give a similar effect?  I went to Staples to get it today and it was almost $70 for a pack of 100- I don't need that many and don't want to spend that much money LOL
0 | 0
orachel
Yep, try packing tape. I described it about 4 posts up. CHEAP! And cool effect!
0 | 0
eklektik
Staples does carry the Apollo Quick Dry Inkjet Printer Transparency Film pack of 50 for $25, also you can order from Amazon for $20....it does not have to be premium transparencies just as long as they are for the inkjet printer. Also, you might try eBay where you can get smaller amounts for a lower cost. I have been using the transparency method recently and really like it.
Will try Rachel's method using packing tape tomorrow to see how that works for me! Got lots of packing tape!! Hey! There's an idea! and then will post some photos!!!
0 | 0
eklektik
I was just looking on the internet - and checked a couple of my books - the tape method will only work with toner based printed copies from a laser printer or copier,  because you have to wet the back of the paper and more than likely the inkjet dyes will bleed...but will give it a try anyway!!!
0 | 0
orachel
Oop! sorry! I got it backwards, it seems! But do try. I'm trying to remember, but don't think i had a laser printer when i was doing it. Also, just to be clear, the image you attach the clear packing tape to WILL be ruined! The only vestige of that image will be left on the tape after you use wet fingers to rub all the paper away.  So don't anyone go sticking packing tape on an almost finished piece or anything! I'd feel bad! ;) And you do need to use a bone folder or dull spoon end or something to really rub the tape down a bunch before you damp rub the paper away...kind of like a temporary tattoo.
0 | 0
eklektik
Since I have only just started working with these types of processes I thought I would just put up a few links to some sites that would explain way better than I could! Still is quite the learning process for me...
I found this one on the packing tape type of transfer http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/packing-tape-image-transfers/index.htmlhttp://www.hgtv.com/crafting/packing-tape-image-transfers/index.html  ...it appears that it will give an entirely different effect from the inkjet transparency method because you end up with the image transferred to the tape, and then you adhere the tape to your page or other creative work.
There are quite a few nice videos on YouTube for the inket transparency method - I happen to like this one the best by Gary Reef - quite informative and detailed  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnF1WpxMsBshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnF1WpxMsBs
... one thing that he empasizes that I really need to work on is giving the transfer 'time' to cure...something which other tutorials have not necessarily done! Have found that if I don't give them enough time, that I will end up with the transparency sheet pulling on the medium when I remove it which can detract from the over all appearance of the result, ie cause less defined images - but then in some cases, that could be a desired effect!
0 | 0
cfalbro
I've done the packing tape transfers, but I don't like the glossy tape.  I haven't found a way to reduce the glossiness yet.
0 | 0
sherrieJD
I have some other techs for u but will have to wait until I am at a putr. Too hard to type on a phone. :
0 | 0
Hollie
2377 Posts
I've done the packing tape transfers, but I don't like the glossy tape.  I haven't found a way to reduce the glossiness yet.

I took an IRL journaling class with Judy Wise this weekend and she used clear contact paper - like shelf liner. It's matte and works really well.

The best effect and the slowest process is....using Matte Gel, paint a coat over the image horizontally - let dry, paint a coat veritcally - let dry, paint a coat diagonally - let coat. Do the same thing on the journal or canvas surface. Then, using a tacking iron, iron the image to the surface. About 1 min. Let cool. Then wet the back of the paper and peel the paper off. That was the cleanest transfer we did.

Does that make sense?
Hollie
0 | 0
eklektik
Hollie, just to be clear - are you speaking of magazine images, toner printed, or similar images and not inkjet printed?
also, so I can be clear - I am assuming that you are talking about two separate methods here - one using contact paper instead of packing tape....and the second method is the layers of matte gel and no other additional medium, just working with the gel and image...
I have been playing alot with the inkjet transparency method, have reasonably satisfactory results - but all would agree that you would never get close to a perfect image transfer!!! also, am discovering that color images do not work well at all...perhaps it may be due to the type of ink my printer uses...
so! will definitely try working with your method - would be nice to have some cleaner and more defined images! Just have this thing for transfers! and inkjet printers!!! Oh, help me please!!! ROFL!!!

Thanks, Hollie! Sound like it was a grand workshop!
0 | 0
Hollie
2377 Posts
Sorry Marie. That's what I get for posting while sick. Yes, these are 2 different methods. Yes, these are for magazine images, toner printed, or similar images and not inkjet printed.

Contact paper is just like packing tape but matte. You would use the same process.

The second method is just matte gel, magazine images, toner printed, or similar images and not inkjet printed and heat.

The consensus was not much worked well with inkjet unless you have water resistant ink.
Hollie
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.