Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

The Faux Shadow

naughtsncrosses
Michelle in Mi asked me this question:

Love your diary layout! I\'m still learning so much with digital. How did you get your inside shadow for the frame to go around the whole inside perimeter?I use PSE9 shadow effects but don\'t like how it limits where you put the shadows. Is there a tutorial or action you could direct me towards? Also, the tape you used to lay the text on - did you make that? I appreciate any help - thanks so much! Michelle

I figured it would be easier to reply in the forum, with pictures, so that it made more sense.

Disclaimer:  I do not scrap with PhotoShop or PhotoShop Elements or any exciting program like that.  I use a program called Lumapix FotoFusion (and I use an older V3 professional version), which doesn't have an erase function, or a select-from-a-sheet-of-elements function, or a cut/extract function.  So I have had to create many looks by cheating.  ;)

One of the really great things about my program is that everything that is put on a page is given a black shadow (settings:  offset - 0.06; blur - 0.25; angle - 45; amount - 255 (which is it's opacity setting)).  All of these settings are changeable.

Anyway, back to the layout.

Easy part first - the strips that I used to journal on is actually the same paper as the background, just rotated 90 degrees and placed into rectangles.

The shadowed frame - okay, this is where the cheating comes in.  I love the look of shadow boxes, and so I did this:

1.  enlarged the frame to fit the page as I wished (if you want more of your frame showing, that's totally cool, just remember that it will cover more of your layout, too - I just wanted a thin frame so I extended it well past my screen so that I just got the inner section of the frame showing.  I've decreased the frame and shadow for the purposes of this explanation.  :)

2.  copied the frame, made it black (in my program, you do that by using the bright slide button (set to -1 which is the maximum), but you may need to do it differently), and then blurred it as much as my program allowed (1.5) and then lowered the opacity on the frame to 0.795.

3.  I then made the "faux shadow" smaller than the frame, and kept the frame on top.  With everything else behind it, it gives the impression of depth.

If you find a look you want, you might consider saving the faux shadow with the element you've played with - that way, you have it just the way you like it. :)

If anyone has any suggestions for a PhotoShop or PhotoShop Elements method, please feel free to share.  :
0 | 0
LauraPM
Edeena this is so much easier than what I do! I work in PSE7. I duplicate the frame layer after adding a drop shadow I like. Then I go in and change the angle of the shadow on the 2nd layer to the oposite of the first layer. So if the shadow on the first layer is coming from the bottom right corner, I change the 2nd layer to come from the top left corner.
But I like your way WAY better than my way.  I will often create a shadow for say a critter or something similar, the way you did yours and, distorting it to replicate the correct angle of light source, but never occured to me to use it on frames!
TY fie sharing your way!
0 | 0
Michelle in Mi
Edeena - This was a great tutorial & I think I can easily adapt your method to PSE. It's almost so simple I don't know why I didn't think of it lol! Thanks so much for your walk-thru!
0 | 0
anna1972
thanks for this always great to learn something new!
0 | 0
CircleofLifeStudioScraps
Edeena,
I use PSE, but do a lot of work in Paint.net, a FREE and terrifically learner friendly program very similar to PS.I can so a very similar thing in that program. Very gracious of you to share, and the shadow is a great effect.
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
Ladies, you are VERY welcome!!  :
0 | 0
Karen_Johnson
Ooo - what a cool effect!
I like it very much!
Kx
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.