Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

Rather odd

Clementine
One morning just as I was waking this mini mind movie flashed before my eyes.
I saw a white truck on a snow covered mountain road come around a corner and slide to a stop just before going over the edge of the cliff.   End of movie.
I must say the clarity of this little vision was noteworthy.

So... I get up and go to work.   I worked for the Forest Service and we always had to clock in at 7a.m.   We worked 10 hour days.   

It was a glorious dry autumn  morning.   All the trees in reds and golds.   A clear sky, the works.   And to top it off I had never driven in anything but a light green rig while working for the forest circus.,., therefore the mini mind movie meant nothing.  

But wait.   what's this?    Was interesting to me that *this* particular morning the crew was directed to a *White* rig.   Never happened before and it never happened again.      hmmmmm.    Oh well, whatever... the weather was gorgeous.  

The rig had 3 rows of seats and there were 8 of us this day.   After we got pretty far up into the mountains the weather changed and it began to snow.   We kept going and it kept snowing.   The snow on the road was getting damn deep and I for one thought it unwise to continue.    At one point I joked   "Hey we better be careful because I had a premonition this morning."   ha ha.   laugh laugh.   

Well right after that we came around a corner and slid and came to a stop right on the edge of a cliff.    We were so close to going over that every one in the vehicle had to carefully climb out on only one side... the other side opened into the air.     

Then we hiked.   and hiked.  until we found our way back to a guard station and we radioed for help.     It was a nice day.   No work that day.    Just hiking and hanging out in a guard station.     

I just think that was rather odd is all.   I have no idea what it was all about as far as the early morning vision.    I mean what of it?   It's not like I needed to stay away from the white truck because I saw it fall off the cliff and roll and crash and burn or anything.    It simply happened as I saw it.    Weird huh?
0 | 0
mrsaboyer
That is odd, and sort of cool. Did any of the crew ask you about your premonition after that?
0 | 0
Clementine
No they did not.   because when I said it I never made anything of it other then a joke.    

Those forest service trucks *do* go over the edge sometimes.
Me and another girl were working in very steep country and at the end of the day she took off ahead of me down the hill,. in a big hurry to get to the truck.   It was her last day before she was to go back to college.   I was the crew boss.

I watched her descend the mountain as I continued to make my way down.   and I saw her reach the truck.    and I saw her get in the truck.   then get out of the truck.    I had the key.
I saw her get behind the truck and start pushing it.    She was strong and it rolled ..... but the wheels were locked in a turn position and it rolled ACROSS the dirt road and headed towards the cliffs edge.    I watched her panic and run from behind the truck where she was pushing from and quickly open the passenger door.   I saw her dive in.   The truck rolled to the very edge and miraculously it stopped right on the edge.    phew!!!   that was close!

It teetered there for 2 or 3 seconds and then over it went and out of my sight but I heard a terrific bang bang as it plummetted down to her certain death.. for she was still in it.    

I raced down the mountain the rest of the way as fast as I could .. and so heartsick thinking of what I would see when I peered over the edge of the road.   That mountain was so steep and bare .. the truck would have rolled over 40 times before it hit the bottom.  

When I reached the road and looked over the edge I saw that the truck had only slid about 40 feet or so and hit a pile of blessed rocks.    And there was little Eva (not her real name)  scrambling wild eyed up and out of there.  

We sat on the road while she told me the story.   She was trying to push it into the shade so she could sit and wait for me.    When it rolled towards the edge of the road she dove in head first and desperately tried to push the brake pedal with her hands.   

A farmer/rancher drove by us slowly.    We thought he would ask us if we needed some help., but heck .. he didn't see the truck down off the road,  and he probably just thought "typical forest service govt. employees.. sitting on their asses in the dirt."   and he kept on going.     She had been carrying our radio and it was somewhere down there so I hiked down and got it and then we called in.    We could hardly bear doing that because a radio call is heard by every forest service worker on earth.   So we directed them to a different channel and asked for assistence but didn't exactly say that Eva had pushed the truck over the side.   We just said we had car trouble., and when they asked if they should send a mechanic to get it started we said  "uh.. no.. that won't do it."   

I had to file an official accident report and Eva begged me not to say she had dived in head first and tried to push the brake pedal with her hands.    So somewhere in the records is a fraudulent report made by me.
0 | 0
LauraPM
Thank goodness she was OK, OMG how scary!
0 | 0
Clementine
Oh and I almost forgot about the time I did indeed go off the road in a forest service rig.
Tim Hohs was also along for this ride.   We were all in a pickup going to a meeting in another town.   Tim was on the passenger side,   I was in the middle.   And the driver was a slightly older man with a big belly.  

We hit a patch of black ice and slid from one side of the road to the other and there was not an ounce of doubt that we were going down over the edge and we were going to roll.   After it was all over and we came to rest down in the barrow pit we were all happy that we did NOT roll.    And I was happy to note to myself that my survival instinct was intact.    For with the expectation of rolling, I had buried my head in the softest safest place that pick up cab had to offer.   In the drivers lap under his big belly.    Ha ha.  yes.   I did that on purpose.   I didn't give a crap what he thought.   

We all came out of that unscathed.    I sometimes wondered after that if the belly man wanted to take me for another ride and perhaps steer it crazily in an effort to induce me to bury my head in his lap again.
0 | 0
mrsaboyer
When I used to live on a mountain cattle ranch in Arizona for a few months, trucks would have accidents on the road all the time. Sometimes there would be a lot of baled or partially baled hay around the road, and you'd think- whoops! Hope they didn't go over!

Where my folks live now up in the California mountains in the gold country, the road is pretty hairy in some spots. She's gone into the ditch while driving before, but thank God never over the edge. The road is only one lane in some spots, with all these blind corners, it's pretty damn scary.
0 | 0
Clementine
ha ha...   I just noticed that Mrs.  Boyers monkey is naked.    that's funny.  
I bet where your mom and dad live is beautiful.   sometimes the more scary it is the more beautiful.   in a way.
0 | 0
mrsaboyer
Why should the people get all the naked fun?
It IS beautiful there.
0 | 0
Clementine
That's just how I imagined it.
0 | 0
mrsaboyer
It's one of my very favorite places to be.
0 | 0
eryn
oh that is beautiful!
I remember driving up in the mountains of New Zealand and it was similar. Tiny narrow roads, hairpin bends, gorgeous scenery...and stupid speed limits! I seem to remember that it was open..as in no limit, but I was 13 at the time so I may be wrong. I do clearly remember Dad being shocked at the speed limit though.
0 | 0
Clementine
I remember a wild ride with my step dad at the wheel, on a crazy twisting turning road.    And there were CARS on the road.   lots of cars.   He was mad so my mom and I couldn't even tell him to slow down.    We were so scared we thought for sure we were going to die.   and one peep out of us would have made him go faster.
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.