Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

I'm a Halloweinie

Clementine
When i was a kid it was all about the candy.   My big sister Helen would take us little kids around Boise town and she'd be pulling a red wagon so that when our brown paper bags got too heavy -in the wagon it went.    And Helen would pull out another bag  for us so we could get   more.  More.  MORE!.   Man that was unhealthy (all that candy)

I'm afraid I don't like Halloween much anymore.  Bah hum bug I say.  And that's what I was saying on that fateful night a few years back.

I was in a bad mood because i was brooding over some man or another so I sure didn't want to jump up and down answering the door and smiling at kids and telling them how cute they were.    So.... ok..... yes.   I'm embarrassed to admit it.   But.   I turned off all the lights in my house.  

And there I sat in the dark.   
     Why?  why do kids knock on doors where it's pitch black inside and out?  

Oh well ,. I just ignored them.    I felt like a spineless guilty person sitting there in the dark.   Then the phone rang.   I was blind but found my way to the phone.  It was my mom.   "Well how are you ?"  she asked.    I knew my mom of all people would understand when I whispered.   "Mom,.  I have to whisper because I've got my lights turned off and there's trick or treaters out there.   Shit.  there's some knocking on the door right now!"    Knock Knock Knock.  Knock Knock Knock.    My mom is just a jabbering away when my front door OPENS!
and the light gets switched on!    

What?!   I don't know if the lady who opened my door and switched the light on was embarrassed about what she had done.   I don't know because I was too busy wallowing in my own shame.   It didn't matter that she was breaking and entereing.   Heck no.   What mattered was that she had caught me being one of those  sit-in-the-dark-on-halloween-night  people.   I bet I looked like a deer caught in headlights.  

Turned out a couple of the kiddies had to go to the bathroom real bad and she figured I wouldn't mind if they used my bathroom.
0 | 0
eryn
OMG sorry Clementine but that is hilarious!!! Sounds like something I would definitely do on a grumpy night! I can't believe she came in!
0 | 0
Fifi
Hate to admit it but you have company, not quite the same way but still...was always prettty good about the door/candy thing until the older kids started coming by later, like much older teens, so around dinner time the DH and I started leaving for dinner out.  We'd leave the candy out.  Now I wish we'd see more but fewer and fewer come, most parents being fearful about what the kids get 'cause ya never know nowadays!
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
Oh My Gosh, I can't believe she just came in like that!  We don't really get them here, although one year, we had a bunch of middle schoolers come to.  I had all these bubble gum lollipops my child did't like, so I gave them a huge handful.  The next night (can you believe it?), they had a group of their friends come and I did hand them out as there was so many and I wanted to be rid of them.  They came again the night after that!  I said - come on guys, I may be old but I know when Halloween is and it's been over for two days, don't push your luck.
0 | 0
LauraPM
Karin, I've never heard if them coming back a second let alone 3rd night!
And Clem the woman just opened your door and walked in!?!? OMG that is so nervy! And illegal! I don't care how bad the kiddies have to go, that's what bushes are for.
I've been scroogy about Halloween fir a few years now myself. We always dressed up at work and since I can't work anymore, well....
And a few years ago things got really spoiled for us when the woman who is sueing us over our dig biting her kid, brought her two and all their cousins trick or treating to our house. I think she forgot where we lived, but makes me think he and she couldn't be too traumatized by the whole trumped up lawsuit! I sure remember where she lives! or at least her inlaws as that was where the infamous (provoked) bite happened 5 years ago. Hmmm. I sound just a tad bitter I think... Yup could be. I was made up as a zombie, so I don't think she recognized me, but our dog on the other hand was still pretty recognizable in his fireman's outfit. I'm sure you all have seen him in my lo's, those Dalmatian spots are a dead give away. Bet she felt pretty foolish after she left. Or at least I hope so.  

Anyway, we haven't given candy out since. Besides finances make candy a luxury, so if I'm buying it, then I'm gonna eat it.  Like I said, I'm a Halloween Scrooge. Although, I am really getting into the challenges here, those gave been fun!
Shit, I wrote another book again!
0 | 0
Clementine
I have to add this to my halloween story.    The lady who came in to my house on halloween night lives in the same valley as me.   The official population here is probably less then 900 people.    So as you might imagine everyone sort of knows everyone pretty much.    She knew who's house she was at.   And she figured I wouldn't care if she came in and let the kids use the bathroom even if I wasn't home.    And she was right about that.    I wouldn't have cared.    I was just shocked to be caught in the dark.   Like her I was an "Art Mom"  for crying out loud.   I went in once a week to do art with the 4th graders.,  I shouldn't have been hiding from trick or treaters.      Anyway.,.,  interestingly we have run into each other many times since then and for some reason neither of us have ever said a word about it.
0 | 0
Clementine

Who says country folk don't know how to have a good time on Halloween?    This is my son Jesse who's turned himself into DUCT TAPE MAN.   The mighty duct tape man is sweeping the fair maiden off her feet.   Fair Maiden is Jesse's lovely wife Shelly.
0 | 0
Clementine
My freind Milly went to a halloween party one year having outfitted herself as a TABLE.
She had this little card table . put a table cloth on it.  Glued (or afixed somehow) dishes and table settings.    In the center of the table a hole was cut but made to look like there was a platter there.    And through the hole went her head.   So her head was on the platter!    The table cloth hung all the way to the floor.    She said the only problem was that she pretty much had to sit herself in a corner and stay there all night while people walked by and talked to the head on the platter.
0 | 0
Clementine
My sister wants me to come down to the valley on halloween.    My sister and our freind Holly are such a hoot!!   What they do on halloween is drink wine to get only slightly snockered and then they scare children who come to the door.   ha ha.   makes me laugh.   Kids love it of course.   Last year they made themselves up to look like statues in the lawn and when trick or treaters walked up to the door they reached out for them.   Caused lots of screams.   

One year Tim Hohs talked me into participating in a haunted house in McCall.   Me and another person stood behind a curtain with only our arms exposed.    But the cool thing was that our arms looked like they belonged to manequins.    We were very still until someone walked by and then the bewitched manequins reached out for the people.   It was fun when they freaked out.    Tim Hohs had some thing going where it looked like he asked for a volunteer but always the same boy volunteered (my son Day)  So Day seems innocent and stands there while Tim trys to ... I forgot what he tries to do but suffice to say it ends up looking like he accidently cuts Days head off and it rolls on the floor and then Tim hurried the group of horrified onlookers onto the next room.   "Whoops"  he says.. "Well move along folks.. nothing here to see..."
0 | 0
Fifi
Great stories Clem, I can only imagine the shocked yet delighted kiddies!  As for Duct Tape Man and his Fair Maiden, looks like they may be wrapped up for a while, so many uses for duct tape...but really, they look so romantic,  great costumes too!  Thanks for reminding us that there are some couples like this in our messed up world!
0 | 0
Clementine
Great stories Clem, I can only imagine the shocked yet delighted kiddies!  As for Duct Tape Man and his Fair Maiden, looks like they may be wrapped up for a while, so many uses for duct tape...but really, they look so romantic,  great costumes too!  Thanks for reminding us that there are some couples like this in our messed up world!

I must say about Jesse and Shelly.    They are a true love story.    They first met in grade school.    By 7th grade they were going steady.   Through high school.   College.   She might be 30.  He is 32.   They have a little boy child now.   They grew up together!    They are best freinds.   I can't imagine them not together.  

By the way.... Jesse being 32.    That doesn't mean I'm an old hag.   It only means I was a very mature 10 yr. old when I gave birth to him.
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.