Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

Carved Pumpkins

naughtsncrosses
Halloween, not hugely celebrated in Australia, calls for pumpkins.  Unfortunately, should you strike a pumpkin at Halloween you're likely to be paying $20-30 for one, and it won't be anything like the size you gals in the States get.

But it doesn't stop people from sending emails with kooky carved pumpkins ;)

Here's a photo of one of the ones that did the rounds:

Has anyone got some other pumpkin pics they'd like to share - maybe some you've carved?  or some you've seen in your neighbourhood?

When does pumpkin carving start?
0 | 0
LauraPM
Pumpkins will eventually breakdown (molding and or rotting) after carving, so you don't want to fo it too early. I think 1-2 days before is good, but I have heard of folks putting theirs in the fridge at night to make them last longer. I find that Is bit extreme personally.  And if you are using a real candle inside, they inside of the lid usually gets kind if burnt and yucky, which speeds up the rotting process, but it is a smell that is unique to Halloween. Many people carve them the evening before or if they are off work/school then early the day of Halloween. Don't know if we have any old pics, but I'll look.
0 | 0
Mish
That is almost identical to the pumpkins my friend in the USA carves each year. I'd die laughing if it turned out it was one of hers.  She does AWESOME pumpkins, seriously amazing ones.
0 | 0
glitterbug
Here is my son Jake when he was very young with his Jack-o-lantern.  He was fascinated with the glowing face and sat long enough for me to get this exposure.  I call it "Jack and Jake"

Sorry it's so big, I'm at work with no way to reduce it...
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
You captured a wonderful moment there Tracey!!!

I think the pumpkins last a good week to 10 days- I cut a "chimney hole" in my top...
once you've made your jack'o lantern, carved a more level spot for your candle to sit in, light your candle, put the lid back on... after about 10 minutes, take the lid off, you can see where the heat of the flame/smoke will be going, carve a 1-1.5 inch hole there. By letting the heat escape, your jack will last quite a bit longer

I saw a tip in a mag this year to wrap christmas lights around a glass jar to place in your jack... there's not so much heat so it will last longer, don't have to worry about the candle/flame, etc. (rather than cutting a chimney hole in the top, you cut a plug in cord hole in the back --- --- before I make any bad jokes about this part of it.

I have a couple of plug in permanent jacks so that we can have a good looking pumpkin for the whole month (paid like 6 bucks for them)
But, you can't beat the real thing either... I already have our first 2 - using just as pumpkin harvest decorations right now, but we'll be carving up soon.

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
LauraPM
I'd forgotten the chimney thing, but I never cut mine that big so that's prob why the never lasted very long. It's actually been at least 5-6 years since I've done one. Just getting old and scroogy I think, lol!
0 | 0
Hollie
2377 Posts
I dont like the mess of carving real pumpkins to I either carve the Funkins (fake pumpkins) or take the plastic light up ones and repaint them. I repaint he funkins too. Give the a much more realistic look and then we have them forever. I will try to post my video of last year and you can see them singing Grim Grinning Ghosts last Halloween!
Hollie
Designer - Holliewood Studio   
Owner - MischiefCircus.com
0 | 0
paula kesselring
Here in Brazil we don't have a real halloween...Only some people who study at American schools have the habit of it, but I celebrate every year since my children are small, it is my favorite holiday ever !!!
I decorate the whole house with ornaments that I bought over the years (all imported from the USA) and give a party for the children here in my condo (I live on a street closed) and they go from house to house asking for candies and then come here to my house watch a horror movie !!!
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
Funkins
Is it just me or is that hilarious and very hard to say ... say right that is.

I hadn't thought about painting the fake light up ones to look more realistic, Hollie.

Paula - I love the way you've taken the holiday and made your own, bringing it to the kids in your neighborhood. Sounds like a blast & a Halloween party we'd want to go to! (well, except we'd have to skip the horror movie - we get skeeeeeered!

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0
Hollie
2377 Posts
That's awesome Paula! I love that you make it special for the kids. It's such a fun day.

Ok, I told PA and Henrietta I would post some photos of my house. This is my living room, where my desk is. My desk sits in front of the bookcases and looks over the sectional sofa to the TV.

And yes, there is a deer in my living room. It's from the Studio and hasn't gone back. Because our house has a lot of glass, it looks like its just cruising through from the atrium to backyard.

I haven't gotten to decorate the kitchen yet, as Nick still has all his Halloween "to make" crap covering every surface. Outside and Atrium wont be finished probably until the last minute....there is a BIG list of things to get done.

sorry for the slightly blurry photos. our living room is very dark.
Hollie
Designer - Holliewood Studio   
Owner - MischiefCircus.com
0 | 0
justpattyanne
1059 Posts
That is whimsically wonderful! I love all those little sculptures tucked here and there.  (Your living room looks like one of Edeena's inspiration boards, all of the best that flikr & etsy have to offer right there in your space.)  

A fabulous collection - it must be hard to pack them away at the end of the season and I'm sure you smile as you get each one back out.

Cracking up at the deer with the hat - I bet he has one for each holiday!
(there's a LO)

Thank you for sharing these Hollie - I feel a mother daughter craft coming on.

Thanks for the inspiration!

"Do or Do not.
There is no try."
~Yoda~

My Gallery
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.