Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings
Forum Chillin' and Chatter Whats your size?? hehe

Whats your size?? hehe

pankerbelle
In an effort to breath life into my withering creative soul HAHA, I will be asking tons of questions about.... well everything. If thats not ok then somebody stop me on this thread lol.
what I would like to know today is what is your favorite size canvas to work with. Tell me why you like it, so that I and anybody who reads might try it out and have a chance to step away from a size that we are maybe "stuck" on or what is a little to familiar.

0 | 0
Hollie
2377 Posts
12x12 for my scrap pages.
8x4 skinnies are a really fun size to play with too.
Hollie
Designer - Holliewood Studio   
Owner - MischiefCircus.com
0 | 0
pankerbelle
Thank you Hollie for responding! Do you find yourself struggling to get your whole idea expressed in the 8x4 size? I haven't tried that size in a long time because I could never do it without a cluttered claustrophobic feeling.

Thanks again
0 | 0
Suzie
Hi
For art journal pages I like 5x7 ... it just feels like a "real" page size to me - I don't know why really as my paper journals are most A5 sized (is that a UK measurement thingy?)
I don't scrapbook regularly any more, but if I do it's 12x12 digi (but 8.5x11 paper! - mainly because I'm lazy though and this size scans easily :))
I've recently done a few 4x4 digi pages which is fun, and now I think I need to try some 8x4 skinnies!
0 | 0
pankerbelle
Awesome! I favor 5x7 also because they mount to canvas perfectly with no bubbles! I also do these in 8x10.
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
When I'm working on ATCs I do 5x7 - you can shrink it nicely from there to the right 2.5x3.5 size.  But when I work on my pages I do 9x9.  That way I can print on A4 paper without too much cramping.  I did use 8x8 for a while, but found that things worked better for me 9x9.  Go figure.

I have only discovered 8x4 this year - I find it MUCH easier to work with than I did ATCs when I first tried them.  :
0 | 0
Hollie
2377 Posts
Thank you Hollie for responding! Do you find yourself struggling to get your whole idea expressed in the 8x4 size? I haven't tried that size in a long time because I could never do it without a cluttered claustrophobic feeling.

Thanks again

That is what is the challenge to me. With a 12x12 there is always plenty of room. A 8x4 page really makes you think about how you want to tell your story. I love how it makes me think creatively in a different way.
Hollie
Designer - Holliewood Studio   
Owner - MischiefCircus.com
0 | 0
pankerbelle
Thats a wonderful way to look at that Hollie.

Does anybody do inchies? Tell me all about inchies.. ( waits patiently for story time )
0 | 0
eryn
i use 12x12 or atc shape. I say shape because I actually create it as big as possible under 12" so that if I ever want to get an atc printed larger or tranfer it to a scrap page, then I can. I can't remember the exact size as I have it saved as a preset!

I think inchies would be difficult digitally as you have to wrap your mind around the size issue. It still looks like a 12"canvas, yet you have to convince your mind that it's actually 1' kwim? I would love to try them traditionally though.

And I definitely want to try skinnies soon!
0 | 0
LauraPM
Here is a link to the inchie challenge we did here in July, complete with the template link that is still free in the shop, TY again Hollie for it!
http://www.mischiefcircus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394http://www.mischiefcircus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394

I tend to work in 12x12 or postcard size 4x6.  I do like the idea of 5x7 and 8x10, so I may try some of those.  Working in a smaller space does force you do get your vision across more succinctly, but that isn't always a bad thing.  Especially if you are wanting to try something new!  I have a tendency to overfill even my 12x12 pages, so I have been paying more attention to the simpler  LO's (Edeena is the Queen of Simple and Clean) and so I have been practicing saying more with less.
BTW: I'm very proud of you for jumping in a participating in this week's CPWC!  
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
I don't know if I have a favourite size.  Most of my pages are 12 x 12 as that what designers create for and I never intended to print any.  However, now that I have a printer, I'm doing some more work on A4 (actually, slighter smaller as I can't print to the edge of the paper).  I also like ATC size and the 8 x 10 photo size.

I haven't made any 'real' inchies, although the Mini Book group on Yahoo I belong to does them occasionally.
0 | 0
ArmyGrl
I am addicted to the 4x8" skinnies. I think they are a wonderful size to work with esp. when working w/full length bodies. You don't have to clutter up you page w/extra elements to make it feel full.

I use 8x8" A LOT! I think most peeps do 12x12; but I print from home and don't have a printer that supports 12x12. So I design in 8x8 and print on 8.5x11 (then trim off the edges).

I used to use 11x8.5".  I've been working more in the 8x8 size...but I think I'm gonna go back to the 11x8.5" for a bit just to get my brain working in a different manner.  When designing LO's I try to stick to the 3rds rule.  Divide the page into 3rs both horizontally and vertically (making a grid)....keep your focal point along one the 1/3rds.  11x8.5" does not divide up as easily...

I find I like 2.5x3.5 ATCs too; but they are the most difficult for me to work with (thank goodness I can make my screen large in photoshop---then it does not feel like I'm working on a smaller scale).

My goodness, I'm long-winded.

Thanks for posting this question; I always find it interesting what people like to work with....gets me thinking outside the "box."
0 | 0
Clementine
I'm forever annoyed that i must work on a 12x12 canvas.   !!!!   Annoyed I tell ya!   
My favorite size would be a 12 x 16  or something like that.    I want to make scenes.   big sweeping rectangular scenes and not have it all squished into a stupid square.
0 | 0
pankerbelle
HAHA I feel your pain! I love to make big scenes and last year I made a couple of poster sized fairytale type scenes for my classroom. It was so rewarding to see after it was printed and the actual cost of the print was not to bad at office max, 14$ for 24x36? I think something like that.
0 | 0
glitterbug
Most of my pieces are in 4X6 postcard size because I almost always print them out and send naked thru the mail.  Cheap too!  Only costs 28 cents US.  I have a super hard time making 12X12 pages as they are not popular in the altered art arena.  4x4 is called a chunky and people make books out of those.  Inchies are very popular in my sites I belong too and it's amazing how beautiful some artists can make them cutting and pasting.  I personally find them very hard to do.  I have done some skinny swaps and they make great books too.
0 | 0
Clementine
What's your classroom Pankerbell??
0 | 0
pankerbelle
preschool/ early childhood
0 | 0
Clementine
Oh how fun.    They're such little darlings at that age.
0 | 0
pankerbelle
Here is a 36x24 I did last spring, printed on a matte paper and a poster type frame. I love these big prints, its like telling a story across a canvas!

0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.