Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

I'm goin up

Clementine
If you never hear from me again it's because i fell off the roof.    I haven't yet. but just in case.   I'm going up to clean my chimney.    When i was younger i used to go hiking alone and two times i found myself in a very frightful and dangerous predicament.   It occurred to me that no one on earth would know where to look for me.,  and my skeleton might only be found a thousand years later in the bottom of a ravine by some teenager on one of those flying vehicles the "Jetsons" use.   

Upon coming to that realization i started leaving a note in my house before i left on a hike.    detailing my intentions and which mountain and which direction i was headed.     So... if you never hear from me again......  the roof got me ..or i choked to death on a peach.    i have about 40 lbs of peaches to put up for the winter today too.    I'll try to eat as many as I can so i don't have to can them.   Bye.   parting is such sweet sorrow..
0 | 0
Fifi
You are such a stitch Clemaroonie, hope your trip onwards and upwards is going or went well, eat a couple peaches for moi...happy canning!  (what's THAT she asks wonderingly...so many talents, so little time!
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
Good luck!

I'd love some of those peaches.
0 | 0
Clementine
I made it.   the only injuries were sustained during the blackberry picking escapade.   I was wickedly snagged on the upper lip.   Those berries are the wildest most viscious strain on earth and they're taking over!     I have a thorn embedded in my head too.   This is the time of year to be a little squirrel.    I have plums to pick too.   will make leather out of those.    Toodle Oooo.
0 | 0
LauraPM
Holy Sh*t you are going to can 40 lbs of peaches in one day???!?  And clean your chimney too?  No wonder you don't talking on the phone all doggone day, girl you don't have time for idle chit chat!  We are lucky we hear from you at all!  Happy when we do, but lucky!
How many jars do 40 lbs make anyway?

When I was a kid someone gave my mom a whole bunch of lugs of peaches, no idea how that converts to lbs, but it was a bunch.  And they were all clingstones, which were yummy but almost impossible to get the pits out.  She had all 4 of us kids in there helping for what felt like weeks, but was probably no more than a day or two.  As you know ripe fruit doesn't wait.  They were great eating that winter, but it was miserable work putting them up.

But Clem, about the blackberries?  I think you might have better luck picking them with your fingers, not your lips.  That way you don't get your lip or head snagged.  I know they are your berries and you do have every right to pick them however you want, I'm just saying...

LOL, we did have a dog who liked blackberries and would pick them with his mouth, but then he had a much longer snout that you.  Unless all your pictures are photo-shopped, but I doubt you have time for that nonsense!  Now, get off that phone and back to those peaches before they turn brown!
0 | 0
Clementine
I processed half the peaches yesterday.     that was 15 quarts.    They were Elberta peaches.    So easy.   the skin slips off in a blink of an eye after you dip them in hot water.   and the pits practically fall out on their own.     I feel sorry for anyone who tries to work with a clingstone peach.    You poor kids.  that must have been a miserable experience.     My blackberries are wild ones.,  they just volunteered to live here and propagate.   They're tasty but the plant is extra wicked.   They are taking over the entire southeast field.      I carry a 2x12 board around with me in the berry patch.. to throw on top of the vines and then i squish them down and walk on them while i'm picking.  The other day i had visions of me wobbling and falling head first into the vines.    So i quit for the day.   I wish my dogs ate blackberries so i wouldn't have to make meals for them this time of year.     I'm also drying pears.  and plums.    The neighborhood is abundant with pear trees gone wild.   While trying to protect my sun dried pears from the horse I discovered the neatest way to dehydrate.    My 2000 Subura is not running and it makes an awesome oven!!   I can put a dozen pans of fruit in there and it's safe from marauding horses, dogs, cats and flies.     I thought i was a GENIUS  for thinking of that.   but someone told me they saw an article in MOther EArth Magazine about dehydrating things in a car.    Sure would like to get the thorn out of my head., it's not the worse problem in the world but it's annoying.    I'm also annoyed by my own jabbering... so bye!
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
Ooh, I'm so envious of all your fruit you get to dry.  I really want to dehydrate and preserve some of our stuff this year.  

The fig, dwarf apple, dwarf nectarine and fruit salad trees are already looking wonderful (it's Spring over here).   Husband needs to get out and start planting, it's that time of the year.
0 | 0
LauraPM
Karin- what country are you in? I'm trying to figure out if the fruit salad tree is a joke, lol!
Clem- we love your stories! They don't sound like jabbering at all from this end!  And I'm very happy for you that your peaches are the cooperative kind, hehe! And drying fruit in the car is Briliant! You still figured it out on your own, even if Mother Earth thought it up also, doesn't make it any less of a briliant idea.
I think home grown pears must be similar to home grown tomatoes, in that I just can't buy a decent tasting one at the store. Either that or I don't know how to pick out good ones. One of the best jams I ever tasted was from a friend who made pear jam from his tree. I had never tasted pear jam and it was so unexpectedly delish!
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
I'm in Australia, the fruit salad tree is not a joke.  It's a grafted tree.  The one we have has five different stone fruits.  You can get up to 10 different kinds of fruit, I think, as long as they are in the same family.  Ours has two different kinds of peaches, two different nectarines and one apricot.
0 | 0
LauraPM
I know about grafted trees, but have never heard of this kind if combo! How fabulous! Mom did some grafting of apples but I remember her doing more 'rooting' where you notch the bark, apply root tone or other growth hormone, wrap it in damp moss and wrap the whole thing in plastic and tie it, it took awhile, but the limb that if you planned right needed pruning off would grow roots and you could then plat it, and have a secont tree started. I think this was primarily stone fruit also, plums, peaches, etc.  But I LOVE the fruit salad tree idea!

Clem- how are you doing on the other 1/2 of your peaches?
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.