Mischief Circus

Categories

Help & Settings

What do you do?

pankerbelle
What do you do when you feel BLAH, and totally uncreative ! I have been in a yucky funk for weeks, There is nothing in my gallery because I havent done anything decent enough for public viewing. I havent even posted to the forum in over a month... I think I'm the only one here who is still " running with scissors"    What to do, What to do.....
0 | 0
eklektik
I so totally get the Blah thingie!!! Had been going through it for the last month! What got me going again was scraplifting - I saw a Karen Johnson LO that I really liked, asked her if she would mind - kind person that she is, she said okay! As I worked on the layout, it started becoming more my own and ideas started to flow. Besides looking in the DS gallery, I look at other sites like flickr, and now Creative Souls for inspiration. Also, I find Somerset Digital Studio magazine has a lot great art and articles. Another source is the plethora of Photoshop tutorials on the web....
Am glad to see you are brave enough to have started this thread - the DS community will be more than happy to come to your rescue! So supportive they are here - but because it is so busy, one has to make them selves known - which indeed you have!!! A good start!
I remember a saying - one which I am sure everyone here knows - is that we are our own worst critic! That has been said to me on more than one occasion!  But after looking at your gallery, I would say you are definitely off to a start. If I can be of any help, please feel free to PM me.
Marie
0 | 0
finecraft
Well, from one "Cajun Girlie" to another, watch "Swamp People" on the History Channel on Sunday night, have some fried alligator, and go roll around in some Spanish Moss! That'll do the trick.....I guarantee it! If by chance that doesn't work, come on by the house and we'll go for an airboat ride! I LOVE all of Marie's ideas too!
0 | 0
Clementine
What???? you go for airboat rides??  !!   in the swamp?!   I want to do that!   I would never have fried alligator., but i sure want to SEE one. !       I go outside.    I sit in my canoe.   I talk to frogs, dogs and dragonflys.   I look at clouds.   I say hi to god.   I cry from the sheer joy of seeing life around me.    I can't stand it sometimes... the beauty of this world.
0 | 0
joray
I've had that Blah no mojo feeling lately myself. But the only thing I get in the Spanish Moss is chiggers, (or redbugs) as we call them in Florida! The gator is good, but I haven't had the opportunity to have the airboat ride! (yet
0 | 0
Hollie
2377 Posts
I agree with Marie. I scraplift when I need a jump. I try to pick pages that are not my normal style and give them a whirl. It gets me to see things in a different creative light.

Spanish moss, airboats and gators would definitely get me seeing things in a new light....and partying with E...well, that is a dream of mine! Or hiking through the mountains and streams with Clementine musing on the beauty of life. What fabulous fun that would be!!!
Hollie
Designer - Holliewood Studio   
Owner - MischiefCircus.com
0 | 0
Kazadoodle
ooh, I know how the blahs feel, been feeling them for over a year.  I had a brief spurt of activity in January and then when DS started up, but then is just flagged again :(

I honestly do not tend to surf through the galleries or arty sites, as that just makes the blahs worse, KWIM?

What I do is -

* open up a new 12 x 12 blank document (or whatever size you usually work in)
* grab a random paper (probably something that I haven't used yet or has been sitting there for a while)
* grab a bunch of random elements (and I mean random, I just open folders and grab stuff)
* plunk them all into my document and move around, like 'real' paper pieces
* eventually something comes together and 'clicks'.   Often, I don't end up with a lot of what I stated with, but I do have something that I like

Other times, I just have a bunch of different pieces going (like right now, I'm working on around 10 or more!).  

We don't have alligators in Australia but we do have crocodile.  I've been meaning to try it out, looks nice.   They also sell emu and kangaroo.  The kangaroo looks like venison, only a little more 'grainy', is that the word?
0 | 0
naughtsncrosses
Ev started this thread a while back - there are some fun ideas in it, too.  :)

http://www.mischiefcircus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727
0 | 0
LauraPM
I do 2 things.  First, I extract.  I take pictures that I love, or pics I think have a lot of potential and work on extracting the subject.  It doesn't really matter who or what the subject is for me: family, friend or pet, but the cats and dog are my favorite subjects, lol!  Extracting helps me feel productive, at least I am getting something ready for a LO to be used later, and being even marginally creative for me, helps to start or keep the creative juices flowing.  And sometimes I am inspired by an extracted image,  I start to see ways to use it, which helps too.

Another thing I like to do is Nancy Baumiller's Collage Play with Crowabout (CPWC) over on Flickr.  It is a weekly collage group, that is low stress and very supportive.  They post a collage page with you download for free to use with this group.  I start by extracting everything, trying to not worry about what I am going to do with the items when I am done, just focus on doing a good job on extracting.  This allows my creative side to flow a little better I think.  When I am done if nothing has come to me, that OK, I just start with the obvious first.  I lay down the background start putting on the elements.  I tend to focus on the elements I like the best, first, but generally try to use as many pieces as possible.  I don't worry about making it perfect, I just try to tell some sort of visual story or stories with what I have to work with, even if the stories don't make complete sense, they just have to be relatively artistically plausible, lol!  Last week I liked the color of one of the pieces, so I changed all the other colors to match.  Another week I just started putting body parts together and found a joke out of what pieces were missing.

Hope this helps, and I hope to see you over at CPWC.  This week's sheet is steampunk.  It's kind of nice that the theme is already picked out for you, you don't even have to decide that!  Did I say it's a really nice and forgiving group?  I take the word "play" seriously in the title, and just try to play.
Here is a link: http://www.flickr.com/groups/collage_play_with_crowabout/http://www.flickr.com/groups/collage_play_with_crowabout/  I think you need to contact Nancy to join, but that is easy to do.

Hope it helps.
0 | 0
eryn
going shopping usually helps me! Or if the budget is tight (like right now:( ) I will open up a template and start adding stuff. I'm not usually a template girl, but when the mojo is gone, a template really helps me!
0 | 0
pankerbelle
Well, from one "Cajun Girlie" to another, watch "Swamp People" on the History Channel on Sunday night, have some fried alligator, and go roll around in some Spanish Moss! That'll do the trick.....I guarantee it! If by chance that doesn't work, come on by the house and we'll go for an airboat ride! I LOVE all of Marie's ideas too!

Yall are so wonderful for the encouragement! I agree with you Evelyn I think Louisiana is one of the most inspiring and artistic places on the earth ( and I have lived all over the world) It could possibly be that I'm just homesick. Living in Texas is an artistic nightmare for me because I find it so dry and barren, I struggle to find the beauty here and long for a magnolia tree! I think I will dabble with all the ideas. If anyone would like to volunteer thier LO's for scraplifting that would be awesome!

Melissa
0 | 0
fairydust
great posts, ladies....
i am myself going through the blahs. as i have mentioned previously (so forgive me if i sound redundant) i just started working again after a nearly two year "sabbatical." that, combined with back-to-school for my daughter & adjusting to getting up at the crack of dawn again, (oh, and her 10th birthday...), i haven't had the time or energy to get in touch with my creative side.
what i have found helps me, recently (as laura mentioned) is to join challenges, or an ATC swap because then you feel a sense of  accountability to get something done. this week i managed to crank out a house for the Creative Souls project & it probably wasn't my best effort as i'm out of practice, but it was my first post in any sort of gallery in maybe a month.
after spending a better part of my life thus far disconnected with my creative spirit, i am determined not to lose her again!!! i guess some of it's about self-discipline.
good luck to you.....you'll snap out of it....
0 | 0
swathe
music helps my mojo up nice and loud.. P!nk always seems to get my creative side moving.. mind you if my mojo's totally left... well that can take up to a week to come back.. and usually if I just stay away from the computer for a couple of days she's all good...some times we just try to hard.. or more to the point.. just to fussy.. which I have to admit.. thats me..
0 | 0
ArmyGrl
Sometimes if I get the blahs I go to http://www.photoshoproadmap.com/Photoshop roadmap and follow a tutorial just for the heck of it.  I don't really care what the end product looks like because its all about learning a new technique or applying a new filter.

Another place I visit is http://psd.tutsplus.com/PSD tuts...same principle applies...I just try to learn a new technique!

Both sites have step by step directions for many of their tutorials, so that may help you get over any ruts.
0 | 0
Clementine
Thank you Lisa!   there's some things i'd like to learn!     I can't stand the HELP in photoshop cs4.    it goes online.    I liked the old way better when i was using photoshop7.   the help index and everything was right in the program.     i can NEVER get help from the photoshop help..    but i bet i could learn some things from those tuts.     I'm glad to know where to go.  thanks again.
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.